SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
knoxrosetn

At what temps. do you worry about the safety of potted roses?

KnoxRose z7
9 years ago

Hello all!

I have lots of roses in various sizes of pots on my front porch (covered porch & on a cement slab shared with my home) and a few more in the back yard, sitting on the driveway not protected in any way. Both locations have a decent amount of sunlight. Since this is my first year with potted roses, I am not sure when I need to move them closer to my house/ put them in the unheated basement/ or if I should provide any protection for them at all. I am in zone 7a, it has just started dipping down into winter temperatures, with the nights staying somewhere right above freezing, and increasingly common frosts, but the days still somewhat warm. I know it is probably early to worry, but I want to make sure I'm not taking any risks.

I know that roses can handle a decent amount of cold, but I just get worried when I see the frost, I just don't know how much cold potted roses can handle, especially young ones. I know several of you have large container gardens or "pot ghettos", I always hear people to refer to them, and it seems as though I have accidentally acquired one myself, what are your winter preparation practices?

Thank you!

Jessica.

Comments (25)