SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iluvbotany4life

I'm worried, will my Juniper Bonsai be ok tonight? Frigid Temps..

iluvbotany4life
14 years ago

I've had a Juniper bonsai since September and I'm well aware that the plant needs a dormant period and cannot be kept as an indoor plant, so I've been keeping it on an unheated, very sunny porch that is protected from the winds. The bonsai has been doing quite well these past weeks with about 20 F temps at night, but these next few nights it is supposed to be 0 F. The porch will probly be a few degrees warmer than the outside temps but not by much. My bonsai is in a ceramic container with bonsai soil, with moss on top of the soil. The container has drainage holes and sits in a larger container the has rocks in it. I fill that outer container with water so the bonsai can draw up that water when it needs to. Lately that water in the outer container has been freezing solid. I have wraped a large towel around the container, but I am still very concerned that these temps are gonna kill my bonsai. But I definetly am hesitant about messing up its dormancy cycle by bringing it inside. Any suggestions?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery