SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beckbunch_gw

Lighting for a tree? Lanterns?

beckbunch
16 years ago

We live a mile down a very dark dirt road and although we have entry lights and an arbor light and porch lights, there is still an area of our driveway where someone could conceivably back into our catalpa tree. If there are just a few people here, I don't think there's much of a risk of this happening, but there's a large party later this month and with cars parked all down the driveway I worry about someone not seeing the tree.

I saw a great picture in this month's "Cottage Living" magazine which showed a tree hung with many old-fashioned looking lanterns. It was gorgeous, but I worry about the safety of lit candles. I tried a couple of solar lanterns from Home Depot, but in the branches of a tree they didn't get enough light during the day to give any discernable glow at night.

This area would be very difficult to wire for electricity as it would require a VERY long trench. Any other ideas? I've seen some "flameless candle lanterns" that run on batteries, but I wonder if they'd provide much light. I don't need permanent lighting on the tree, but when there's a gathering here I always feel like I have to stand outside and warn people to notice the tree. It's SO dark here at night.

Any suggestions?

Eileen

Comments (7)