SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19755260

Planting own-roots in zone 6 now??

User
14 years ago

I just got home from a trip to California, where I couldn't resist buying some own-root roses from Russian River Roses (they are Renae, Climbing Pinkie, Sweet Chariot, and Penelope). Of course, I realize this might have been insane, but I'm wondering - any suggestions on how I can best get them through the winter? Its been warm-ish, I actually went ahead and planted Penelope out (will protect, of course). Since Sweet Chariot is a mini, I thought I'd try wintering her indoors under my plant lights. But what would you suggest I do with Renae and Pinkie? I was thinking of doing my usual pot ghetto treatment - burying them in the veggie garden with lots of mulch, and sheltering them with leaf bags. But not sure if this is best (needless to say, coming from CA, they are not dormant yet. In fact, Renae has flowers!) Would it make more sense to try to winter them indoors, too? We do keep our house cool (62 during the day, 55 at night). I don't have an unheated garage, so that's not an option.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (10)