SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shadygarden_co

Winter care of roses with powdery mildew problems

shadygarden_CO
15 years ago

My climbing roses -- two New Dawn and one Jeanne LaJoie -- have had lots of powdery mildew problems, as have some shrub roses. I have a book from the Denver Rose Society that says that for winter preparation on roses with mildew or blackspot problems, removing all leaves helps eliminate potential sites for harboring spores over winter. Gee, that seems like a lot of work, but I guess I could do it. I started doing it this afternoon, in fact, but it's going to take some time; in addition to which, I just had knee surgery a week ago and can't kneel.

My question is, first, do you all think that is important and necessary? And is it okay if you take out some of the branches or stems that the leaves are on? Second, I noticed what I think are mildew spores on the branches, kind of nestled next to the thorns and am wondering if I should just cut those branches off too.

Anyway, it said to do that as the first step in sanitizing and then to go ahead and spray for the mildew, which I have been spraying with the Cornell formula, Ultrafine oil and baking soda all summer, and will do again.

How do you all handle mildew problems? Last summer, the roses looked so beautiful early in the spring and then started getting the mildew and thrips, too, so I was spraying a lot. The second flush, I guess you would call it, was great for awhile, but I ended up with problems all summer and fall.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Marlene

Comments (5)