SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
subk3

When do you give up on a rose?

subk3
10 years ago

I've been adding roses to my gardens for a couple years and right now I view them as an experiment with the goal of finding a dozen or so that will be extremely happy in my no (or not much) spray garden. This means I'm very open to removing roses until I find the best ones for my microclimate.

I realize that many roses become more disease resistant as they mature, but how likely is it that an awful rose will transform into a wonderful rose? If it's going to turn around when will this start to happen?

I've got three roses that I think get the Damask Crud--Barrone Prevost, Marchesa Boccella and Madame Hardy. It's a black fog that completely covers the leaves uniformly turning the leaves black (no spots, no yellowing) and the plant hangs on to these leaves for weeks. It is fascinatingly ugly!

After two years is it time to yank them and move on by ordering something else to try in those spots next summer? I know Hybrid Perpetuals have "issues" (learned it since ordering these) and have since been focusing on Teas/Chinas/Noisettes that even after a year are MUCH happier.

A couple others at the end of 2 years are not great and I'm wondering what your own criteria is before you give up on a rose?

Comments (15)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!