SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adriennemb2

When do you give up on a tree in spring?

adriennemb2
11 years ago

I planted a couple of small brandywine maples in my south-facing front yard not quite two years ago. They grew an acceptable amount of "creep" last summer, displayed beautifully in the fall and are now between 6 and seven feet tall with a 2-2.5" diameter trunk.

Unfortunately, we had a very odd winter here in Manitoba with very little snow until March and mild (for us) temperatures. My concern now is that these two trees are very, very slow to begin to bud at all, even in comparison to my young oak tree in the back. The amur maples, embers maple and birch trees, also in the backyard, are all on schedule.

A few leaves have only just started to emerge on the bottom branches, none at all on the crown and the topmost section seems to have a lot of brittle, dead branchlets. There are a few buds starting to emerge in the "vees" near the main trunk but...

So I guess my question is, is this going to be a lost cause in the long run? Should I watch and wait (and for how long) or do I just go ahead and replace now? I don't want to give up prematurely but I also hate wasting my time :)

Comments (2)