SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cathyann_gw

When do I give up on a chlorotic Red Maple??

cathyann
15 years ago

We have a 20-25+ foot Red Maple (approximately 12 years old) in our backyard that has suffered from chlorosis the past 2-3 years. The canopy is about 6-8 foot wide. So, not a huge tree yet.

The tree starts out good in the spring, with new growth appearing. But, come mid-summer, the leaves on the outer most part of tree start yellowing. The middle veining of the leaves are green with outer edges yellow. If you stand under the tree and look up, the inner and low part is a fairly good green. Seems to want to grow.....but, new growth sickly.

Last fall and this spring I fed the root zone with a Ross iron supplement with no noticeable improvement.

I went to my garden center this week and they recommended Lutz's maganese spikes, sulfur and a foliar spray by Ross. I also pulled back the shredded bark mulch and applied two large bags of cow manure.

They suggested I apply the Ross iron root feeding again in September and more of the Lutz spikes.

My arborist (recommended by Morton Arboretum) wants big $$ to treat with Cambistat and either soil wash or injections. (I prefer passing the soil wash as it will kill the surrounding grass).

It has become a dilemma, as it would cost alot to remove and replace, as well. We just had storms last week and tree ppl are charging 250+ to remove downed trees and stump/root system.

Any comments and suggestions welcome.

Comments (22)