SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Am I being a prick?

whaas_5a
11 years ago

I received a mail order the other day and one of the plants was in very poor health and was severely pot pound. Its one of those that if you threw the plant at the ground you wouldn't see a single bit of potting media on the ground as the roots are that compressed.

After mail ordering so so many plants I've come across alot of crap and for some reason this one bothered me as the nursery wouldn't acknowledge the real problem. Although I didn't complain about this the other plants had some root rot and no new roots so I was just unhappy in general.

Or am I just being a prick here? Believe me you won't hurt my feelings!lol!

Me:

Everything looks good and is already planted.

Although a nice sized plant the attached plant is in poor shade with a compressed root system.

Can you please credit my CC for this plant?

Nursery:

I'm glad that the plants arrived OK, but sorry that you are not pleased with this plant. There's really nothing wrong with it and breaking up the root system when planting it can't remedy. We do this all the time when we move smaller plants into larger containers. I'll attach the planting instructions, in case you missed them in the shipping box (we also suggest acclimating plants for a couple of days before planting them in the ground).

Me:

Thanks for the info. I'm a plant enthusiast and very familiar with teasing roots.

This plant has brown and yellow discoloration and the roots are so compressed I don't want to invest any time in this specimen. The roots literally can't absorb water and is nutrient deficient

It should have been up-potted to a 3 gallon pot a year ago.

I'd suggest checking your inventory of this plant and not sending others out.

Nursery:

We will do as you request, although I heartily disagree with you that the plant is worth nothing. I won't deny that it might not be fully-charged nutrient-wise, but then it would have just grown larger. I don't really see any nutrient deficiency in the newer leaves, but there is senescence on some of the older ones, which were likely shaded by adjoining plants or dried out during shipping. Those could be removed to improve the cosmetics of the plant. We don't promise that every plant we ship out will be beautiful, but know that all will grow well given the proper growing conditions.

As to the roots not absorbing water, a wetting agent, such as liquid dish soap, does wonders for water absorption (please read the planting instructions we sent). As an experienced plants-person, I'm sure you could revive it if you were so inclined, and I'm disappointed that you want to discard the plant and not give it a chance to grow for you (which I am confident that it would, except that it might not be hardy in WI, especially if planted in fall). You can tell that our philosophy is to not destroy any plant life, and sometimes that gets us into trouble, I guess.

Me:

Thanks for taking the time to provide additional info. I can tell you take pride in your plants and nursery and do understand your points.

I guess at the end of the day I don't think my time is worth vesting in a plant that is in poor health and severely pot bound.

Special care and hope shouldn't be part of the equation for a plant that wasn't properly up-potted.

I've gotten burned too many times trying to save severely pot bound plants and unfortunately don't have tolerance for them.

{{gwi:435109}}

Comments (32)