SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

Roses frozen in time....a December portrait

celeste/NH
14 years ago

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas, and I wish you all a blessed New Year and an abundance of roses in 2010.

I have been on this forum for several years now and I consider you all my friends, no matter that we haven't officially met and are miles apart. Roses have a magical

way of bringing people together and joy to us all, and I never let one day pass that I don't check in here. It is my favorite place to visit, especially in the winter when

I can't be with my roses.

I had a nice day yesterday with my family. I will become a grammy for the first time in May (!!)...., 3 wonderful children who've grown into adults too fast!, a great husband, mostly good health......so I am already so blessed. I do have some sad news that my beloved father seems to be getting dementia just like my mom whom I have been caring for the past couple years. He is not doing well physically. He has lost 20 pounds in the last few weeks and is having a lot of pain which the doctor cannot explain. He is also 86, but has always been so independent and strong til now. I may be caring for him too, but my house is so TINY...just one bathroom and 3 bedrooms. We are already filled to capacity here, but he's my daddy so I will have my hands full in 2010. I promised my son and DIL years ago that when they had a baby I would care for my grandbaby while they worked and I am overjoyed to do so. Wonder when I will find time to care for upwards of 350 ROSES? As it is I don't sleep much....Mom wanders at night.

But here's what I wanted to share mostly with you all....

photos I took yesterday of zone 4 roses, which would normally be slumbering under the snow, bare and dormant.

We had an unusually 'warm' fall and the roses continued to push out buds well into late-November which is unheard of

here. They of course were in for a shock when winter decided to arrive, VERY late, but in full force with snow, ice and sub-zero wind chills. The buds

and leaves you see in these photos are frozen in time and will never open. Slowly they are falling off the bushes.

It was a glorious and unusual sight this Christmas out in my yard. Amidst the snow and icicles there were green (although crispy and shriveled) rose leaves and a hint of color on frozen buds....a sight this cold-zoner has never seen. Perhaps it is a sign of hope? A sign that life, although fragile, can survive against the odds and the ravages of nature and time? My roses have always spoken to me, in times of joy and in despair. I take solace in these token December blooms and know that roses, like people, can also be brave and hopeful.

Peace to all and Happy New Year!

Celeste

The following were taken yesterday, on Christmas......!

Mrs. John Laing.....

{{gwi:329835}}

Spirit of Freedom....

{{gwi:329837}}

Scots rose leaves still hanging on.....

{{gwi:329839}}

{{gwi:329841}}

A few modern roses....

Amazing Grace

{{gwi:329843}}

Brothers Grimm Fairy Tale....

{{gwi:329845}}

climber, Rhode Island Red....with ice crystals

{{gwi:329847}}

Roses in snowdrift.....

{{gwi:329849}}

Rosarium Uetersen....

{{gwi:329851}}

These were taken the first week of December....

Toscana Vigorosa.....

{{gwi:329181}}

Perception....

{{gwi:329184}}

My family at Christmas....(except DH who was taking picture, and mom). From left to right: Grace, Tiffany, me, Tim and DIL Jenni.

{{gwi:329855}}

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21