SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
restorephoto

Screening with marcescent trees?

restorephoto
12 years ago

I've rediscovered the term "marcescent." I'm looking for trees (or large shrubs) that hold their leaves through the winter here in zone 5 to help block a street view.

I already knew from personal experience that Parrotia and Acer triflorum are marcescent�at least in their early years. I also purchased three small Viburnum 'Cree' last year based on comments here on Gardenweb. It's way too soon to know how they'll do, but they have survived this year's drought. And then this week I learned about Q. Crimson Spire here on Gardenweb.

My interest is in finding trees/large shrubs that can be planted behind a mixed shrub border along a busy street lined with 50' utility poles. I've already removed a large white pine and white ash that were too heavily pruned by the utility company, and this winter I'll be removing a large sugar maple for the same reason. The strip of land (20-30 feet) next to the utility easement will be full sun once the maple is gone, but a mature red oak and silver maple and a neighbor's locust shade the area back away from the street to the north.

The Crimson Spire would work very well as long as I plant it about 20 feet from the easement. My only concern would be its growth habit since it would be near the drip line of the red oak and might be affected by that oak's proximity.

I have two questions.

What are others' experiences with Parrotia and Acer triflorum? Will they reliably hold their leaves through winter or has my experience been unusual? If they will hold their leaves through the winter, does this characteristic fade as the trees age?

What other marcescent trees (or large shrubs) might be worth evaluating?

Comments (3)