SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

List of roses that do well on alkaline soil

strawchicago z5
12 years ago

After extensive searching, I found a list of roses that do well on alkaline soil. If I had done that research on evergreen trees, I would had planted more Black Hill spruce and Norway spruce, they are doing great on my 7.7 pH clay soil. I would had planted less white pines, two are still yellowish without prior fixing the soil.

I find that Austin roses in the Leander group and Hybrid Musk group tolerate my alkaline soil better than Austins in the Old Rose Hybrid Group. In the rose park nearby, Jackson & Perkins floribundas are loaded with blooms, so are Hot cocoa, Chicago Peace, Chrysler Imperial, New Zealand, Frederic Mistral, and Queen Elizabeth.

At the rose park most of the roses in high magnesium alkaline clay soil lost their scent in cold weather (except for Frederic Mistral, Bolero, Abraham Darby, Julia Child and Eglantyne). Ironically Double Pink Knock-out in an acidic MiracleGro potting soil (pH of 6.5) smelled great in cold weather!

Below a link to roses in Texas that do well in alkaline clay soil. What are the roses you know that also do well in alkaline clay soil? Many thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Best roses for South Central Texas

Comments (11)