SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bernadette_gourder

Pink Mystery Rose

bernadette_gourder
14 years ago

Can you help me identify it, if possible?

STUDY NAME: Unknown

BUDS: The unopened bud is roundish with pointed sepals. The buds that are partially opened are relatively round in shape and mossy. It is a darker pink than the open flower.

BLOOM: The rose at its peak is a light pastel pink. The underside of the petals are lighter in color. It is a round thick flower with heart-shaped petals that sometimes have a few pleats. The stamen/pistil are hard to see but when they do peak through they are a bright contrasting yellow. When the bloom is fading the stamen/pistil are easier to see. The petals are a much paler pink.

FRAGRANCE: Strong fragrance (can smell it driving past), reminds me of a peonie.

BLOOM DISTRIBUTION: On one stalk there are quite a few buds, one per branch, near the tip. There is always one bloom on a branch.

REPEAT BLOOM: They last for several weeks, up to a month I think.

HIPS: The hips are round and orange red. No larger than the diameter of a dime.

LEAVES: They are a dark green and matter. They are about the size of an apple leaf or about 2-3 inches long and about 1 1/2 to 2 inches at widest point. They are not a thin leaf nor leathery. The texture is pretty smooth, but have serrated edges. Underneath it is paler green. No noticeable fuzz or prickles. Well foliated, lots of leaves!

LEAFLETS: Yes, they are fairly uniform in size. They are closely spaced.

STIPULE: Information not available.

THORNS: They are quite small, on the greener wood there are very closely spaced and different sizes. They are pretty straight, perhaps a little bent over. They do not break off easily.

CANES: The older wood are dark brown. The medium aged wood are reddish brown and the new wood are dark green with a little red. They are pretty pliable and slender. They are arching although they have been growing amongst a lot of bramble, might be due to searching for light amongst the other foliage.

GROWTH HABIT & FORM: The plant is pretty tall (about 5 feet tall in some places). It is not bushy. It is hard to tell if it is a shrub, climber or groundcover. It has been growing through lots of bramble searching for light. It has long branches, but not many.

VIGOR & HEALTH: It looks like a moderate grower. It gets attacked by bugs - that's about it it seems.

HISTORY: I have no idea how old it is. It could be about 50 years old or perhaps my Papa planted it so it could be about 30 years old.

CONDITION OF PLANT: It has been growing along side the road for an unknown amount of years. It has been neglected all these years and somewhat abused by the road (salt, plowing, grass cutter, tree trimmers, etc.) and only recently discovered about three to four years ago. It is growing in good dark soil, perhaps a bit gravely. It is in part sun.

USDA zone 5

Here is a link that might be useful: Pink Rose Pics

Comment (1)