SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rideauroselad

Can You Help ID Another New Mystery Rose?

We have 3 plants of this variety at the Summerland Ornamental Gardens. For the past few years, I have not really noticed that this rose variety was distinct from the 3 plants of the Mary Rose, next to these. This year, after spending four seasons doing rejuvination pruning, fertilizing and new drip irrigation system. The differences stick out like a sore thumb.

The plants in this garden are all at least 25 years in the ground. So that puts a limit on what cultivars it might be. My best guess, looking at my various Austin reference books and catalogues and on HMR is "Cottage Rose". If you grow it, do you think I have it right. Note the dark green mature leaves, maroon new stems and paler newer leaves. The newly opening blooms are very globular.

It is astounding this season, with the long neglected roses now back to full health and vigour how many roses I have either mis-identified til now, or have not been able to identify until now. Golden Celebration is a case in point. We have three plants of it and for the past three years, I was leaning toward Graham Thomas as the identification. This year with vigorous, rejuvinated, happy rose plants it became very obvious that it was in fact Golden Celebration which I had not personally grown in the past. The fragrance, pure citrus, the blooms are fuller, more petals and cupped, they are also much more golden in hue than Graham Thomas. So it is new to me, but I am very impressed now that it is happy.

It is amazing how much difference there is now that the roses are being properly cared for and growing well.

Thanks for any help with the ID,.

Cheers, Rick

Comments (6)