SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

many oaks turning brown...and have been since late August

hairmetal4ever
10 years ago

As I drive around my area, I've noticed that a large number of oaks are turning brown in patches throughout the crown. These aren't my own trees, just ones I see driving around. Almost like they would in fall for those oaks that turn only brown, but, I've noticed this on a few trees that typically have had a more red color in past autumns. I will say the color appears to be a slightly lighter brown than what you'd see in late autumn, but that might be wrong since I have no direct comparison to make at this time.

Also, this would be about 6 weeks early for an oak to experience autumn leaf change...most oaks stay completely green until at least Halloween here and often later than that.

I started seeing it in late August and it has gotten worse since then. It only seems to be on oaks in the "red" group - Q. rubra, Q. palustris, Q. coccinea, and Q. velutina primarily. Haven't seen it on Q. phellos which is also common here, and haven't seen it at all on any white oaks (Q. alba or other 'white' oaks).

Is this possibly bacterial leaf scorch? If so, that would mean we're looking at a dieoff of probably ~10% of our tree canopy in my town in a few years! I've never seen BLS that widespread, so could it be something else??

I haven't looked up close at anything, but what I have seen closeup doesn't *quite* look like BLS to me.

I do know there have been huge outbreaks of several types of caterpillars this year, some "oakworm" and a fall webworm.

Has anyone else seen this?

Comments (5)