SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosecorgis

Help! Did I let the freeze kill my bands?

rosecorgis
14 years ago

We've had mid twenty freezing temperatures for the last three nights. Daytime temps have warmed into the 40's. I went out this morning and Mme. Mari looked very droopy. It was a summer band now in a two gallon pot awaiting spring planting. I touched the two droopy canes and they both broke off! Each were about a foot long. I felt the soil and the surface was frozen. Grandmother's Hat (in a 5 gallon) and one of my Pretty Jessica's are also droopy.

I'm a California girl and have never dealt with freeze damage. I can see the blackened leaves on my hydrangeas that look like I imagined freeze damage. Could these broken canes be freeze damage? My other theory is that it might be from the weight of the snow overnight Monday night. This is only the 3rd time it's snowed here in my lifetime but I imagine that the weight of it could break new, thin canes.

Can someone more knowledgeable advise me what probably happened and what I should do? These are my first real OGR's and I'm very excited about them. When we got the hard freeze warnings I looked up the zones for teas. It said Z7, so I thought I was safe. I didn't consider the difference pots would make.

Please let me know what I should do now and what I should do with young potted bands in future freeze warnings (as soon as you Easterners and Midwesterners stop laughing!) I can see you rolling your eyes and thinking "Californians!".

Any advice or reassurance is appreciation.

Debbie

Comments (16)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner