SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vvesper

Yikes! Did I kill my climbing rose?!

vvesper
15 years ago

I have a large climbing rose that was originally planted on a north corner of the porch and not blooming well. It grew strongly, but hardly bloomed, so I was guessing not enough sun. Sorry, I don't know the variety, as it was here when we moved in. (Maybe America? Big, coral pink, fully double blossoms and huge hips - but only 25-30 blossoms last year throughout the summer on 12-15 foot canes.)

So---in early February, we moved it around to the back side of the house, which is south facing. It is supported on wire trellising between two porch posts. The root ball was bigger and deeper than expected, compared to some shrub roses and HTs we moved earlier. We did our best to conserve roots, but I'm sure we lost alot. Now alot of the canes are looking dessicated. The other roses are all leafing out. But this one (the latest moved) is not. We did have warm weather and then a hard freeze, which may have nipped some growth buds.

I did not prune the climber back substantially (just removed some small canes and twiggy growth) because I had read that in areas where the ground doesn't freeze, we can move roses when dormant without heavy pruning. We have kept it watered but not soggy. Should have good drainage. I have not applied any fertilizer, as it is dormant, and would be stressed from the move anyway.

But now I'm worried. Advice???

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus