SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
muscovyduckling

Help me choose some roses!

muscovyduckling
10 years ago

Hi folks,

I'll start by saying I've never grown a rose before, and I don't know a whole lot about gardening. But I'm sick of my boring garden, and I love roses most of all, so I want to have a go at growing my own.

There are three different spots in my garden that I'd like to have roses, and I'm looking for suggestions for each.

Firstly, on the western side of my house I'd like a fairly large climber to grow up the lattice beside out back deck, and another to grow over the adjacent carport. This spot doesn't get any direct sun in the morning, but it is not shaded at all and is bright all day. It gets direct afternoon sun which can be hot in summer.

The next spot is on the eastern side of my house - I have a very large (1.5 metres by about 4 metres) ugly water tank outside my kitchen window that I'd like to grow a rose over. This spot is somewhat overshadowed by huge eucalyptus trees, and receives filtered morning sun, with only a tiny period of direct sun, and is in bright shade in the afternoon.

Thirdly, I'm building a big long fence across my back yard and I'd like to grow roses along it to form a sort of hedge to keep the dogs out (about 1 to 1.5 metres high) with an arbour in the middle. This fence is mostly in full sun but the edges will be in filtered shade in the early mornings and late afternoons.

I'm just outside of Melbourne, Australia, which is a temperate zone equivalent to about USA zone 9. My soil is clay, so I'll have to do something about that. I prefer pale pink, pale yellow or pale apricot blooms, and I'd love to have plants that we covered in as many blooms as possible, as often as possible! Fragrance would be a welcome bonus.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County