SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

I love pruning

rosefolly
12 years ago

I began this yearly ritual yesterday while much of the world rushed off to stores in search of holiday bargains.

Next to the spring flush, this is my favorite time of the gardening year. I might feel differently if I had twice or three times as many roses. For some with larger gardens, I know pruning is a daunting task which takes months to complete. But for me this is a wonderfully satisfying time and I can do it in a few weeks. I spend a few days in each garden area, pruning, stripping leaves, chopping up the prunings for mulch if they are not diseased, pulling weeds, cutting back or dividing ragged perennials, and sometimes even moving plants around. As each area is complete I give the roses in that bed the only fungicidal spray they will get all year, usually a copper fungicide although sometimes I will use sulfur. And when it is all done I will spread alfalfa and rake it down into the mulch to be watered into the soil. This is also the only time of the year I fertilize. Returning most of the chopped prunings to the beds, and adding more mulch as needed, means that I am keeping the nutrients in equilibrium. So far it has worked well.

This is such satisfying work. It gives me the illusion that I have control, that I really can make order out of chaos. It doesn't last, but it makes me happy in a calm, peaceful way.

Some people practice meditation. I prune roses.

Rosefolly

Comments (30)