SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bebba1

Civil War novel--with roses

bebba1
15 years ago

I haven't posted for nearly two years because I was finishing a novel about the Civil War that came out on May 31: HALLAM'S WAR (unbridledbooks.com). It's got lots for CW buffs--battles and leaders--and plenty for anybody interested in growing cotton, or the moral issues surrounding slavery, but also ROSES, from beginning (opening chapter) to end (last page). Oh, and look for a cameo by General Jacqueminot-- which is what made me think of posting this--reading the recent post, I mean.Here's an excerpt:

"Taking her pruning shears from the basket on the back porch, she walked down the short flight of steps onto the gravel path beyond. Already, at half past six, the garden around her was alive with bees. Standing there with the rough pebbles under her feet, surrounded by the roses of every shape and color that clambered up the arbors and weighed down the trellises above her, she breathed in a deep breath and held it: nothing was more pleasurable, more satisfying--the rose perfume mingling with the rank smell of the earth below."

Comments (4)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company