SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aquaeyes_gw

The Elmwood Cemetery Rose Garden can officially begin!

AquaEyes 7a NJ
6 years ago

It's been a long wait for me, but now I know I can proceed. Today I met with Ellie, the president of The Elmwood Cemetery, and we walked the grounds together. In one of my previous emails, I outlined some of my ideas. Basically, what I wanted to do was identify "opportunities" for various roses throughout the grounds. We found quite a few during our walk today. So, I said to proceed, I'd like to begin by having her outline with white spray paint the "opportunities", and I'd come by to smother the areas with several inches of the more-than-abundant mulch on the grounds. Every year, any dead or broken tree material is gathered and chipped, and then dumped into two areas. These piles are turned periodically, so they're in varying states of decomposition -- great for starting new planting areas.

I won't drone on now about how things are going to be used, but I will update this thread as I get pieces done this year. What I'm asking now is for my fellow old-rose friends to start looking in their gardens for material that can help me get this started. For now, I'd like to begin with the once-blooming oldies -- Albas, Gallicas, Centifolias, Damasks, Mosses, etc. Suckers are great, but budwood and/or cutting material would also be wonderful. I will happily reimburse shipping to get them to me. So if you would like to help out, please comment below with what you're willing to share. I will keep a record of anything donated, and when we figure out how we'd like to identify them in the cemetery for passersby, your name can be added as a donor, if you wish.

This is a 50-acre old cemetery, opened in 1868 and still owned by the same family. They already have various programs such as Civil War walking tours, butterfly release, etc. Housing a collection of old roses will be adding just another layer for them.

I will be potting things up in my yard, bringing them down and planting them myself. I already have a few extra things from my the previous cemetery, and these will be going in the ground this Spring.

Also, if any of you are in the area and are interested in helping out with this project, please let me know.

Below is a satellite image of the cemetery, followed by a map.

:-)

~Christopher

Comments (90)

• linc1164 (Zone 7a central NJ)
    5 years ago

Hi Christopher,

Don't know whether you remember me? We exchanged some emails last year through HMF regarding care for Bermuda Spice in NJ? I found this post last night. What an awesome project you are carrying out! Would you like a Tuscany Superb sucker? I have a few that came out toward the end of last year, and they all overwintered nicely. If you would like it/them, I will send you an email at your address above to continue this discussion. I'm in central NJ (Union County). I think I'm only about 40 min away from you so can drive the sucker(s) to you if you would like.

--Lin

AquaEyes 7a NJ thanked linc1164 (Zone 7a central NJ)
  • AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Vaporvac and Plumeria Girl -- here are the books I got from Amazon and was reading over Winter:

The Rose Garden: In Two Divisions

Roses: Old Roses and Species Roses

American Horticultural Society Plant Propagation

Rosa Gallica

Landscapes and Gardens for Historic Buildings

Rescuing Eden: Preserving America's Historic Gardens

Restoring American Gardens: An Encyclopedia of Heirloom Ornamental Plants, 1640-1940

American Gardens of the Nineteenth Century: For Comfort and Affluence

Plus several Plant Lover's Guides to:

Asters

Hardy Geraniums

Sedums

Clematis

Salvias

And also The Layered Garden: Design Lessons for Year-Round Beauty from Brandywine Cottage

Anne-Cecelia and Lin -- thank you very much for your offer, but I already have both of those.

And to everyone -- moving forward, I think I'm going to try budding as my main means of acquiring stock for the cemetery. Suckers are great and all, but I realize that they're a bit of a pain for people to dig up and send, whereas cuttings for budwood (or rooting directly) are much easier. If anyone is still willing and able to send them, I certainly won't say "no" to anything I don't already have, and will either reimburse for shipping, or send back an equal number of roses I propagate here (starting after the first flush).

I've already acquired a bunch of suckers, and it's deceiving to see such little top-growth when there's a massive root below needing potting-up. Right now, they're almost all in 5gal containers, or 20" or 22" resin barrels (for the big ones from Belmont a couple years ago), and I'm starting to wonder how I'm going to effectively get them all to the cemetery, and move them to where I want to put them in the ground. I think that having a bunch of rooted pieces of 'Pink Clouds' in 1gal containers, waiting to be budded, would be more space-conserving and easily transportable for me. And I know how annoyed I'd be with myself if someone sent me cuttings of some rare oldie and I couldn't get them rooted, then having to ask again for more. Once I have some practice doing it with my own roses, I think that's how I'll be asking for material. At the cemetery, I'll plant them deeply so they (hopefully) go own-root, anyway, but for a project this big, I think this would be the faster and more efficient way to go.

I very much appreciate everyone's enthusiasm, support, and sharing. Hopefully, after a couple years, I'll have something worthy of a visit to the cemetery for anyone close enough to make the trip.

~Christopher

• Related Discussions

sacramento city cemetery open garden catalog!

Q

Comments (32)
    I grow Barbara's Pasture Rose at home. I agree about the fragrance - I love to cut a stem for the windowsill over my kitchen sink, so that I can catch a delicious raspberry scent as I walk into the room. The cemetery BPR is bigger than Jeri described, but I have one at home that is about five high by four wide. I cut it back harder than we do a lot of the cemetery roses, to about 3 1/2 feet, and keep cutting stray canes off that are blocking the pathways or crowding other plants. Each cane removed becomes a cutting, of course, which is where all of those BPRs in the sale came from! Anita
    ...See More

cemetery rose suggestions

Q

Comments (12)
    Hi - What era is your cemetery? Is it still active? I volunteer in the Sacramento City Cemetery, active in 1850-1915. We try to focus on roses from that era. Georgia Drennan wrote about "Everblooming Roses" to be planted in southern cemeteries in 1910. I think she was in New Orleans. I would be tempted to follow her suggestions, to a large degree. The book is not readily available, although you can purchase a CD of it through Heritage Rose Foundation. I ran a copy of the section about the cemeteries, and if you (or anyone else) would like for me to copy and mail it, I'd be glad to do so. It may be possible to scan it in, too, but my scanner isn't great. Drennan's point was that you should plant roses that are repeat-blooming, rather than ones that bloom once, such as Mme Plantier or wichurana, which was touted as the "Memorial Rose" and planted widely as a ground-covering rose. She lists a lot of this forum's favorites. I wouldn't go for Lavender Lassie because it's way too modern. Some of the HMs may fit your time period. You probably would be wise to start with a definition of "antique" rose, as it pertains to your site. Lamarque was really popular back then, but Mme Alfred Carriere is wonderful, so I'm not recommending that you grow Lamarque instead. I'm not so sure about pink climbers - if Maman Cochet works for you, that's a good choice. How does New Dawn do in your area? It's 1930, so again, may not be "antique" enough. Cornelia is 1925. Lady Waterlow is a very popular rose in our cemetery, and is 1902. However, don't know how it would perform in the south. For your large spot, another thought would be a banksiae. We often find them in our old cemeteries, grown in a heap, with the added advantage of no prickles. Fortune's Double Yellow is a prickly beast, if you ever need to trim it. Some of the teas get very big, if you let them build on themselves. Blush Noisette would be lovely, too - we have one that is ten feet around and seven feet tall, and the constant bloom and lovely fragrance is a great advantage. We find it in old cemeteries everywhere, along with "St. Leonard's" and others. As for the height - I'm assuming it's a rail fence - the one in Wooster's Roses of Legend and Romance garden has two heights of fence. The bigger one is about 4 1/2 feet high, with four rails, and goes along the garden perimeter. Interior fences have three rails, about 3 1/2 feet high. Here are some photos to help you visualize. I don't think you'd want to go higher, because it's better not to have to go onto a ladder to reach the top of the fence. New Dawn on fence Lower fence Anita
    ...See More

Historic Cemetery Rose Garden under attack from City of Sacramento

Q

Comments (4)
    bump...please read the whole thread on the link, and help out by writing to the officials whose names and emails are included. THANKS!
    ...See More

Canary Island Rose

Q

Comments (16)
    Canary Island is one of the few roses that is still here after the chilli thrips invasion a few years back. It's growing in a seven gallon pot sunk into the limestone rock. Almost in complete shade now it never has even a hint of black spot or mildew, and is hardly ever watered or fertilized. I don't understand how it 'makes it', and yet it blooms the wonderfully fragrant, double, dark lavender flowers faithfully every spring. Even a once a year bloomer deserves a better place in the garden. Hmmm, time to think about moving such a faithful, healthy rose. Here it is this morning ... It's thought to be a Gallica/China cross which is why it does well in the south. I cut it to the ground every spring. It blooms on new wood.
    ...See More
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

Thank you. That was above and beyond to include the links.

AquaEyes 7a NJ thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Tonight I gave away my dinner shift, so I got to leave when there was actual daylight -- a rare treat this time of year at my job. I decided to go to the cemetery and start visualizing some of the spaces Eleanor and I talked about, and lo and behold, she was right there outside as I pulled in. She walked me over to a couple other areas she'd like to eventually tackle, and we talked about that. But in the end of my visit, she showed me a gorgeous old beech tree that's been causing some problems for the ground below -- far too dark for turf, and roots at the soil line causing issues for the mowers. We decided on a large outline -- basically following the tree's drip line -- to mulch over, and add some plants as a bed around the tree, but leaving the rest just mulched for walking upon, rather than trying-and-failing with grass. We decided on some Hostas for the base of the tree, with some Japanese painted ferns and Lamium spreading outward from there -- a simple planting that would be much better than what's there now. And this is how the garden will proceed -- she'll point to a "problem area" for grass, and we'll discuss what can go there, and then she'll have a load of mulch dropped by when I'm ready to make the bed. I said I'd keep plants here in my yard through the Summer, since it's easier to water them here than in most areas there, and we'll wait until the end of August before they go in the ground.

On the topic of Hostas, she mentioned that recently three deer have found the cemetery, but that she has the plants sprayed with deterrents -- and that they seem to work. However, they will hit Hostas hard if they get to them before the spraying, and so I mentioned that those Hostas with H. plantaginea in their ancestry will usually maintain that species' trait of continuing to produce new leaves through the growing season -- which means that they'd rebound if a deer hit them, unlike other Hostas that produce all their leaves in Spring and then stop making more for the season. I said that by looking for fragrant Hostas, one would find those with H. plantaginea ancestry, since that's also the only fragrant species.

Well, it just so happens that I have two mature clumps -- one each of Hosta 'Fragrant Bouquet' and 'Stained Glass' -- from which I can easily remove pieces for this spot. They're two within a family of sports (of sports of sports...), so other than leaf coloration and pattern, they're otherwise identical, and would blend well without drawing the eye too much, as if they were contrasting more. This spot isn't really meant to draw the eye, so I wanted to keep the theme simple -- subtle variations in variegation.

I also asked if it'd be OK if I started scouting high-limbed trees that aren't so shady at their base for planting some of the suckering once-blooming oldies, and she said that any would be fine. The only thing she'd have to check in her records is if I wanted to plant by a stone -- generally, if there are still living family members, permission would be needed, but the really old and "forgotten" stones would be fair-game. So these spots would be built around an old rose (or two, if I put one to climb the tree as well), and a few companion perennials that don't need much tending through the growing season -- like Iris, Hemerocallis, Salvia, etc. Basically, one or two or three things blooming at a time, with the neighbors taking their turns before or after.

There are some other areas where she'd like me to figure out larger beds, but I want to first start clearing space in my back yard by getting those potted roses out and planted there. Oh, and while I'm still waiting to hear from that woman who mentioned she'd like to help out, I also ran into a former coworker yesterday who wants to help as well. I think she may me more of the "tending" rather than "digging" type of help, but she does know gardening, so that's a good thing.

In the meantime, I'm getting email notifications of end-of-season plant sales, and nabbing a few more "one of each" selections which I'll keep potted in 5gal containers here for propagation material to use there. For example, I nabbed one of each of Bluestone Perennials' full Aster and Boltonia collection while they were half-off, because I know they are easy to propagate and would definitely be used there. And I just saw that Select Seeds marked down the last of their plants to $5, so I nabbed a few more date-appropriate things to use for propagation material. I'm making sure that I'm not buying anything as a plant that's available as a seed-strain, since that's how I'll be raising the majority of the perennials for there. Eleanor said she'd be able to reimburse me for things, and I'll save all receipts, but for now I'm proceeding as if I'm getting things for my own garden. Mine here is now basically full, except for bedding annuals every year, so it's not as much fun if I can't buy plants for SOMEWHERE, right?

Oh, and I'll begin propagating roses in a few weeks, when the flush starts coming to an end.

Anyway, that's my little update.

~Christopher

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh, one more thing -- if anyone in the area is interested in coming to see the cemetery -- you don't have to commit to actually helping with it, but I'd really love more gardeners' advice -- please message me, and we could meet up over there. It's really a lovely spot with so much potential for something wonderful. If you can't message me here on the forum, message me via my "incognito" email address below, and I'll reply with my "proper" email address.

moschata619@gmail.com

Of course, if you also want to swing by and walk through my tiny garden, that's ok as well. My "weekend" is Mon-Tue.

~Christopher

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I started prepping the first area today, but it's not for roses. I began cutting an outline, but then Mark -- one of the groundskeepers -- came by and offered to bring some mulch. So I switched to laying cardboard, and kept going until Mark was ready to go home. These pics were taken just now -- I'm still here for a bit longer.

P.S.

Since I'm on my phone, only one pic per post is permitted.

~Christopher

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

Don't see pictures, but houzz has been acting up.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    5 years ago

5 years ago

Looks great!

AquaEyes 7a NJ thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Still going at it.....but starting to wear down.

~Christopher

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

That already looks amazing!

AquaEyes 7a NJ thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    5 years ago

Looks great . Thank you for putting the books up. I will be looking at them this weekend and I bookmarked it too.

Chris, that is a lot you did in a day. How is your back ?

So, I figure that you are going to put roses in the border, right ? You can see the huge difference. I can imagine the roses in them and growing big. It will add colour, beauty and peace.

Jin

AquaEyes 7a NJ thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    5 years ago

This will be beautiful!

AquaEyes 7a NJ thanked chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
  • AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jin -- my back's ok, and I did do that in one day, but I didn't get there as early as I'd have liked. I had a few more things to do in my own garden this morning, and didn't get to the cemetery until about 1pm. Then it took a bit of figuring out how to begin, and I stopped sometime around 5:30ish. I'm not putting roses in this area -- the beech tree casts too much shade. I'm using two Hostas -- 'Fragrant Bouquet' and one of its sports-of-sports 'Stained Glass' -- for accents around the tree, with some Japanese painted ferns dotted about, and Lamium as a groundcover in spots that wouldn't be walked upon. I'm tooling around with the idea of Spring-blooming bulbs under there, and, again, a simple mix. Before the tree leafs-out, the area gets a lot of sun, so I'm thinking about some Eranthis with something blue or purple that also blooms early, then some Narcissus, maybe some Autumn-blooming Cyclamen....but those would all go in AFTER the Hostas, ferns, and Lamium, since they'd be planted in the spaces between them.

There are other areas with more sun that will also be prepped similarly. In those spots will go non-suckering roses, plus perennials and other plants. The suckering once-blooming oldies will be in isolated spots, such as in beds around the bases of high-limbed trees, or in "aisles" between the back-to-back rows of headstones, or in a corner spot in the grass where the path curves, etc.

Tomorrow (Wednesday), I'm heading back there after work with some more cardboard. Mark will drop a few more scoops of mulch there during the day, and I'll spread that out over another round of cardboard. I should have this area finished after one full day -- today was really just four hours, and a bit of that was spent figuring out how to start.

~Christopher

• Rosefolly
    5 years ago

Christopher, have you considered experimenting with grafting roses? If you could learn how to do it, you would not have the problem of aggressive spreaders. I'm thinking that multiflora rootstock would do well in your area, and since it can be seed grown, I believe it would be virus-free. I don't know how to do it myself, but surely with some practice on commonly available roses, it could be learned.

Rosefolly

AquaEyes 7a NJ thanked Rosefolly
  • AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, I mentioned a few posts back that I'm going to try budding things from my garden onto 'Pink Clouds' as an experiment, and that moving forward, I'll ask for budwood-cuttings rather than suckers. I appreciate the effort, but I'm starting to think it's a bit much to ask to dig things up, whereas asking for pieces snipped off of canes is a lot easier. Plus, I have a feeling I'll be wanting things that are notoriously hard to root. In that case, I'd bud as a back-up while trying to get cuttings to root.

~Christopher

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I got an extra day off today, so I came back again. I finished the edge, and did more cardboard and mulch. Now I'm out of boxes, so I'll just neaten the edge and spread the mulch before I call it a day.

~Christopher

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    5 years ago

One more, then back to finishing up.

~Christopher

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm about halfway done with cleaning up the edge, then I'm done for the day.

~Christopher

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    5 years ago

And one more...

I'll snap some more before I leave.

~Christopher

5 years ago

I wish you were over here. You really get the job done, Christopher.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    5 years ago

OK, these pics were taken when I was finished cleaning up the edge, and just before leaving for home -- which is only a few blocks away.

I did a rough measurement, using my feet as "feet" -- if I recall correctly, my garden crocs are 12" long -- and this bed is about 32 feet by 35 feet. Beds like this -- with headstones within -- will just have "accent plants" rather than being densely planted, because I need to leave room for walking through them.

Once this spot is mulched, I move on to the next area -- which, if I recall correctly, is a railed-in family section in more sun, which means I will get to plan for roses there. For what I have so far -- the suckering once-blooming oldies -- I'm scouting spots. Eleanor mentioned that where I see plot markers together -- like the three in the back corner of this bed -- that means the space within belongs to the cemetery, and so an isolated rose could go there. Also, there are "aisles" between stones with their backs facing each other that could be planted. She's still gathering information to make a list of which older spots are not in perpetual care, which means they'd be "free" for me to plant. But for now, I just want to finish this bed. Perhaps, as people start seeing these yet-to-be-planted beds, I can get interested people to "adopt" beds. What I'm planning for this one will be very basic, and certainly leave room for further layers that can be added -- by me, or someone else.

I'll be back there again Monday and/or Tuesday, with a lot more cardboard boxes.

~Christopher

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The first bed is all but done -- I needed just one, maybe two, more mulch drops to finish the bed, but Mark the groundskeeper had to go off on another project. The pics below are since the last ones I posted here, continuing through until today.

This is as far as I got on June 11th.

Then I got this far on June 19th -- until I ran out of cardboard and had to stop.

So for today, June 20th, I scored a bit more, hoping it would be enough. Little did I know that Kearney -- a board member who works mornings in the office there -- collected A LOT of cardboard put out for recycling the night before. Thanks to him, I had these perfect long boxes, which made finishing the bed a breeze. I barely used any of the cardboard I brought, which I'll save for the next bed next week.

Then I was ready for mulch. Mark, the groundskeeper, dropped some a few times, but then said "that's the last pile for today -- have to go finish something on the other side." Unfortunately, it was not quite enough, so I left when I finished spreading what I had.

That last bit was just laughing at me for thinking I'd finish today...........oh, well. I'll get it next week before starting the next bed.

~Christopher

• portlandmysteryrose
    5 years ago

Wow! That's phenomenal, Christopher. There's always one dish that won't fit in the dishwasher, a couple of towels that would overfill the washing machine, a few too many weeds to tackle before the sun sets and almost but not quite enough mulch to cover the last bed. It's Murphy's Law. :-) Carol

AquaEyes 7a NJ thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks! I'll keep updating here, but word of warning -- I'm shifting over to the "other forum", and posted a condensed version of this thread there. If you haven't already checked it out, please do so. To me, it's a much more comfortable forum style, and it was put together by the "Dave" who formerly ran "His Garden", if you know what I mean. I don't know if mentioning that website by name still kicks people off the island, so.....

I'll still be checking in for a while for the rest of this year...and maybe longer, when the dust settles.

~Christopher

• portlandmysteryrose
    5 years ago

Thanks for the heads up, Christopher! Good to know. I wish the "other" forum were visited by all the Antique Rose Forum's international participants and US regulars. The "other" forum has a different feel that I'm not sure is a best fit for me. Carol

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I think that part of that "feel" is just different people, and also that it's a combined rose forum. The general rose forum here has a lot of the same questions and posts I see there. I think that new gardeners trying roses go to a general rose forum, and the specialized rose forums attract people a little more advanced in their experience. While I said on there that I'm fine either way, I do predict that if enough of the people here go there, that forum will likely add a sub-forum for Antique Roses. But, on the other hand, I am seeing some interest in the things I've been posting, so perhaps those members simply aren't as aware of the old roses. Some seem very interested to learn more.

~Christopher

5 years ago

You teach them Christopher, then have them all come over to Antique Roses! You may have our only parrot.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

I'm trying to like it over there, but so far the right feeling has eluded me. I will try to give it a fair trial.

• Anita Clevenger
    5 years ago

This forum has had its ups and downs and I pretty well gave up on it a while back, and was very glad to find some of my old friends here when I returned. It's not the vital spot that it once was, but it's so nice to be part of this group. I especially love it when I meet people in the Sacramento cemetery who I've only known through this site, which happened to me twice this year and still makes me smile. I hope that you keep posting here, Christopher, because this is such a long-term spot for old rose lovers.

5 years ago

I find the cutesy emojis all a turnoff on the other site. The icons in the upper right corner are annoying. The reddit site looked lovely, but the picture loading sounded multiple stepped. Neither site would have the years of archives. I sadly have a low tolerance for cutesy. I couldn't stand it when I was cutesy. I don't like the acorns or the points. I want to read a forum like a book, or correspondence with an adult. I don't mean to offend anyone.

• portlandmysteryrose
    5 years ago

Anita and Sheila, I think you have both captured a spark of what I see in this particular forum. I hope Jeri and Paul, as well as Virginia and John Fig, can tolerate a return visit now and again.

I was an ARF forum lurker years before I mustered up the courage to post. I followed all sorts of members, learning from the variety of experiences and recommendations as I read a "real time" garden book's worth of memoirs and how-tos. Antique rose lovers and cultivators, preservationists and historians, educators, designers and the rose breeders who appreciate both the value of old roses and the importance of thoughtful, passionate creative hybrids are a very special and unique subset of rose gardeners. There is an intellectual aspect to this forum which appeals to me as well as a community oriented one. This forum attracts a very thoughtful, very caring and compassionate set of human beings who all love roses, especially historical ones.

I wish that, like you Anita, I had had more opportunities in the past to get out and about into the various rose communities. Enjoying the company of face to face friends on the forum is one of the loveliest of ways to expand those friendships and remain in touch in between rose society meetings and visits. Various obstacles over the years have precluded those face to face connections for me, but through this forum, I have made worldwide internet friendships as well as the ones just across town and state that are now my face to face friendships. I am becoming more determined than ever, obstacles be darned, to make live connections around the Pacific NW and beyond. I have joined the Heritage Roses Group. I have also been trying repeatedly to join the PNW subgroup on Yahoo as well...if my technology will just cooperate--sound familiar? :-) Claire is a wonderful ambassador and one of the most generous of people on the planet.

Christopher, I will just chime in that I hope you can at least check in now and again. I would miss your presence here more than I can say. Our connection across the miles after you reached out about an Indigo-DFLED2 swap was a big step for me, as I bumbled my various emailed exchanges of personal and rosey shares. You were one of my first "outside connections" from this forum. You hold a special place in my heart, and I follow all your ambitious rose adventures with great interest and encouragement. You are truly one in a million!

Just as I have begun to dive deeper into forum relationships, Houzz has gone kablooey! Really, Houzz? Without this forum, I would never have developed some of my most treasured connections, relationships which radiate through and beyond the forum. Without this forum, I would lose access to those members that I am currently in touch with daily or weekly, and I would lose the unfolding opportunities for future online and offline relationships with the passionate, analytical, generous, determined and diverse set of international rose lovers that occupy this space. I hope everyone can muddle through this mountainous bump in the forum's journey! Carol

• portlandmysteryrose
    5 years ago

I think I may copy and paste a portion of the above reply into a new thread, a sort of formal check in to see who is still here. The personal pieces were written in response to particular comments from members in this thread, but since various responsibilities and time constraints preclude the possibility of my typing another multi paragraph post, please forgive the redundancy as I copy and paste, and please do not be offended that I have lifted my sincerely typed words from your thread, Christopher. Thank you in advance! Carol

• monarda_gw
    5 years ago

It seems much improved today.

• shebabee
    5 years ago

Christopher, this is such an exciting project! I look forward to following your progress here and/or on the other forum, which I'll eventually join, I'm sure. I'll add that I'm a native of the beautiful Garden State (though living in the S.F. Bay Area for many years). I hope that I'll have a chance to visit the Elmwood Cemetery Rose Garden and meet you whenever I make another visit back east.

And Anita -- we met and chatted a good while at the Albany Celebration recently. I am hoping to make another drive out to the Sacramento Historic Cemetery soon, and I would love to be able to tour it with you, if possible. As I'd told you, I went there for the first time in May, and it was probably the highlight of my year -- I spent two afternoons wandering around there for hours and I want to get back there again soon. I added my name to your contact list -- I hope I'll be informed of any more classes or special events to come? I wasn't able to make it to the open garden, sadly.

Best to all the rosy people.

Sheba (in S.F.)

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    5 years ago

A little update -- I started the second bed, which is larger
    than the first. This is also under some shade, but not as dense, and has
    some sunny patches, so roses can go in here. I started this one two
    weeks ago, but last week's heat wave kept me away from it except for
    four hours on the 4th, when it was "only" 95F at the hottest.

The bed is built around two railed-in family plots that touch at one
    corner and face opposite ways. I looped the perimeter a bit beyond,
    curving where it meets the "road" -- which is really just one of a
    series of grassy paths intersecting the cemetery, as seen in the old map
    in my first post. There are a bunch of other railed-in family plots,
    and these will be my next beds to prepare. They vary from being in
    all-day full-sun to dappled shade at midday, all the way to bright shade
    with no direct sun. I'm nudging them to let me do the sunny ones first,
    but in the end, the order doesn't really matter much, since they'll
    eventually all get done and be planted.

I took these pics as I walked clockwise around the bed. You can make out
    the edge dug out of the grass, and where the mulch pile sits on a blue
    tarp -- I cleared away the mulch lying over the edge, so the bed has the
    same curve as in that pile.

Not much else to say about this, but I thought I'd update you all. I'm going to hold-off on asking for roses until I know what I'm planting in each bed -- and I realize I should have done it that way from the beginning to prevent my back yard from becoming a potted-plant traffic jam.

Oh,
    and if any of you live close enough to want to jump in and help, let me
    know. Even if it's just sitting there pulling tape off cardboard boxes,
    offering advice, or even as far as moving buckets of mulch from the
    piles -- all help is welcome and appreciated.

The rest will go in the next post.

~Christopher

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    5 years ago

OK, I'm having Houzz issues, and I'm not going to keep trying. If you want to see all the pics, see my identical post on the Garden-dot-Org website linked below.

https://garden.org/thread/view/84470/How-to-start-a-bed-at-a-cemetery-in-pictures/

Or, if you're on Facebook, see my album for the cemetery linked below.

https://www.facebook.com/AquaEyes76/media_set?set=a.10155580608737285.1073741833.534437284&type=3

:-/

~Christopher

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    5 years ago

If I was nearby, I’d love to help out—what an amazing project! :-)

AquaEyes 7a NJ thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Today I was off again -- my work-week now is Thursday through Sunday,
    but I still hit overtime -- but I was also out of cardboard. Typically, I
    gather it from my job when I'm there, and use it all on Monday when I'm
    off. Then, before I go home, I head to the center of town and gather
    more cardboard from outside the stores -- every Monday night it's put
    out for recycling pick-up the next morning. That gets me through
    mulching on Tuesday, but then I'm out again. So since I'm off three days
    beginning this month, I'll use Wednesdays to scout the next areas to be
    planted and cut the borders.

Today I did the next two family plot beds with railing borders on my "do
    these first" list Eleanor wrote for me. The first was the Lippincott
    bed, which gets early morning sun, dappled shade from about 11am until
    about 2pm, then mostly sun until sunset.

The next bed -- the Staat family plot -- was one I was really looking
    forward to, since it's basically full-sun all day. Here, I'm going to
    try some of the more tender old roses -- Chinas, Teas, Noisettes. I've
    experimented with them in my own garden, and I've found that they need
    at least one of two things to keep going here. One thing would be a
    protected spot, such as against a house. Here, Winter damage is
    minimized. My tender roses along the house have about as much damage as
    do typical Hybrid Teas planted out in the open.

The other thing would be a spot in full sun all day. Here, even if
    Winter takes its toll, the growing season here is hot enough to push
    them to regrow a lot. My "Bermuda Spice" is in a totally unprotected
    spot, and sometimes Winter really does a number on it. But even if cut
    back all the way to the mulch line, this rose will rebound to five feet
    tall by the end of the growing season, and blooming all the while.

So, here's the Staat bed, outlined -- well, the first two pics, anyway. Because I took more than ten of Staat but less than ten of Lippincott, I'd rather divide it here and make two posts than have to do it in three.

To be continued.........

~Christopher

5 years ago

Really impressive, Christopher!

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Continuing...........

This plot contains two very young girls -- a one-year-old and a two-year-old -- and a twelve-year-old boy. I told Eleanor previously that an idea I had -- thanks to Jeri Jennings -- was to use some type of date-appropriate miniature rose for those cases. So, in this plot, I've decided on "Lindee" for the little girl who died in the early 1900s, "Dolly Dudley" for the little girl who died in the mid-19th Century, and "Oakington Ruby" for the twelve-year-old boy. I already have the first two, and I'm not happy with where they are in my garden, so I'll just transplant them to the cemetery. I'll have to get "Oakington Ruby" for the little boy. Other thoughts for this bed are possibly trying 'Mme Alfred Carierre' for the tree, a long-caned Bourbon behind the front right (when facing the front of the plot) corner and pegged to the railing, 'Gloire des Rosomanes' somewhere.....but I'll need more time to let that simmer.

For the Lippincott bed, I have some ideas as well, but which way they go will depend on if I can get a couple of tree branches removed first. Eleanor was already in agreement about removing one limb from a tree in another plot, but I didn't get to ask about this plot.

So, here are the rest of the pics of the Staat plot.

Edit -- once again, trying to make a second post with pics is causing problems, and once again I'm giving up on trying to get them through. And, once again again, if you would like to see the rest of the pics, please see my thread at "the other site" and scroll down to the bottom.

Ugh.....are you all sure you like Houzz better than Garden-dot-org? The only reason I keep putting up with Houzz is because it's my only way to keep some of you updated on this, and I don't want to lose touch with those of you not on Facebook and not on the Garden-dot-org site. I'll keep trying for a while, but in the end, I'll likely end up just posting a note to check out my thread over there.

~Christopher

• Anita Clevenger
    5 years ago

Georgia Drennan has suggestions for roses to plant in cemeteries in her Everblooming Roses book. She is a New Orleans writer so some of the suggestions aren't great for colder climates, but one that I remember is Marie Pavie for a little girl's grave. Marechal Niel for a military man is another one....

AquaEyes 7a NJ thanked Anita Clevenger
  • AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have 'Marie Pavie', and was planning to use it anyway somewhere, so I'll keep that in mind. This bed, however, wouldn't be the best fit. The stones for the little girls are only about 12" tall, with information on the top edge rather than the front. So that meant either something tall behind -- but which wouldn't spill over onto the information on the top edge -- or something very short in front. I went with the latter, because they're at the back of the bed, and there really wasn't room for something behind their stones without going beyond the railing, which is where I'd rather something taller than 'Marie Pavie'. And I'll have to pick up that book. Thanks once again, Anita!

Oh, and after I actually have something in the ground, I'll write something up for you. At this point, I feel like it's showing someone a recipe rather than presenting a cake.

~Christopher

5 years ago

Ingrid says do your word post first in one post, then put the photos in the next comment area and they go in. Works for me.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The first post worked fine for me, with the pics. The second post kept freezing when I tried adding the second pic. And to avoid the possibility of losing my text altogether, I always post at the "other site" first, and copy and paste here. Frankly, I don't see the merit in trying to keep dealing with something determined not to work, especially when there's an alternative site which functions better. The only reason I keep coming back is because there's a handful of people here whom I enjoy, and who are neither there nor Facebook.

~Christopher

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I haven't taken pics at the cemetery until I was finishing up today, so I wanted to post a little update. Unfortunately, posting with lots of pictures here has been "difficult" to say the least, so to save myself the aggravation, here's a link to the "other forum" where I posted all the information and pics.

https://garden.org/thread/view/84470/How-to-start-a-bed-at-a-cemetery-in-pictures/

Or, if you prefer Facebook, the comments in the pics are basically the same as what I wrote in my post. The whole album is here. Or, if you'd rather skip ahead to today's update, the first of today's pics is here.

~Christopher

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    5 years ago

As the season is coming to an end, I'm finishing up at the cemetery. I've been going down there on every day off, save for the handful of days when rain kept me inside. On the one hand, I wish I could keep going, but on the other, I'm looking forward to getting some rest, and taking care of things around the house. Since I seem to have difficulty posting pictures here without the page freezing, I'll simply update at "the other site" and reference it here. So take a look at my most recent post in the thread linked below.

There's so much more I have to do, and didn't get done, and much of my at-home rooting efforts failed due to lack of attention and proper equipment, but I'll be trying something different in the early Spring. So to anyone whom I've promised roses in trade, I'll be getting things back to you, probably budded onto seedling Multiflora, or 'Pink Clouds'. That's how, moving forward, I intend to gather things for the cemetery. Though I've ordered quite a bit for Spring, that was for getting things started with (I hope) volunteers coming for a "planting day". I've purposely steered my choices to things I thought wouldn't be easily obtained from others as budwood -- unless they were on-sale.

Anyway, sorry for my rare and random appearances, but I've been so busy.

~Christopher

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    5 years ago
    Thank you for updating Chris. I been following you at the other site. I know you are extremely busy and I do hope you rest well since all the holidays will be popping up soon. And thank you so much . I learn a great deal from you.
    jin
    AquaEyes 7a NJ thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting