SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosedigger

Haven't been gardening

rosedigger
12 years ago

I hurt my back and my neck in 2008.

Since then it's not been the same in the garden.

Following an injury while gardening enough to partially disable, has anyone gotten well enough to start gardening up again? I miss gardening, mainly caring for my roses!

Comments (16)

• jacqueline9CA
    12 years ago

Yup, me. The key was to find a good physical therapist who specialized in back pain and regaining mobility, and then doing everything she told me to.

Jackie

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

So sorry to hear about your problems. I do hope you will feel well enough to go back out to your garden soon. Gardens can be very healing in their own right. They've come out with many new tools and aids to make it easier for older and/or disabled people to work in the yard. You may have to change how you do things but I'm sure that you should still be able to do some gardening. I know for me raised beds was a big help.

• Related Discussions

wanted: help! heirloom herbs (all types)

Q

Comments (1)
    Just wanted to bump this. Thanks!
    ...See More

Looking for Hardy Hibiscus

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi: Doing very little trading now but have in the past. I have some varying types of Hardy Hibs. Luna Blush with frilly outer edges and varying pink swirl (can send photos) are my best. If interested, let me know and we can do a SASE. Let me know what you might want as I have fresh those listed on my page from last year (not updated/not fully trading 09). Ginny B.
    ...See More

Roses and a new garden

Q

Comments (6)
    I'm not much of a rose gardener, but I had 2 English Roses. I think one is Abraham Darby (came from costco so had to be common) and the other was a yellow rose with very long canes. Last year I tried cutting canes back after each bloomed and it abruptly died. The rose forum folks generally thought it was coinsidental but one person said their identical rose did the same thing (I knew its name then but have forgotten it and can't find my english rose book). Anyway, my red remaining rose does well for me and the yellow one did even better for two years. Our extension agent suggests roses in general are difficult in the high humidity and the best approach (other than not growing them) is to give plenty of air circulation between plants. You might want to check out a year old thread here about a woman selling a house with 300 roses. She was in Burlington in the red clay. She was probably mainly in the Rose Forum. Even if she has moved, I'll bet she could tell you a few things about rose growing in the Piedmont. Did a search: works_for_roses is her screen name. By the way, the japanese beetles think roses are salted peanuts
    ...See More

poison ivy

Q

Comments (4)
    I've actually had to hire somebody who isn't allergic to completely dig up the poison ivy around my place. What they did with it afterwards, I don't know. They carried it off with them. I haven't had any problems since. But please, no body make the mistake of thinking you can burn the stuff. The smoke will carry the "poison" & still cause you to break out. I can't tell you how many times my dad did this.
    ...See More
  • zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    12 years ago

It wasn't a gardening injury, but I recovered from a pontine hemmorhage (stroke). At first, I could only dig holes about the size of the potted roses, and struggled to remove metal fence stakes stuck in the ground (some were left in there for years). After a decade we now have over 200 healthy roses. I've now gotten strong enough to remove tree stumps from our yard by cutting the roots--just took out the stump of a 60 ft pine tree that toppled over as Irene passed through the area.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

Figure out what you can do right now, and go from there.

You might find great satisfaction and joy with small plants in pots--bonsai, or exquisite tiny succulents. Echeverias have the form of perfect rosettes, and flowers that attract hummngbirds.

What about raised bed salad greens to share with friends and family--anything! Something! Gardening has a huge range of possibilities. Think of it as a chance to explore. Then gradually work you way back to large plants that take more strength and energy, if it works out that way. Good luck and best wishes. Nothing heals better than a garden.

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    12 years ago

I too have a disability caused by a severe brain hemmorhage that paralyzed my left side 10 years ago. Although I can walk some, my left arm is completely useless.
    I made up my mind early on I was limited only by myself. I now garden from the seat of a Rascal Scooter. I've moved mountains of mulch, one five gallon bucket at a time and still care for all of my 400 roses myself. some tasks take several trys to figure out but they get done and usually all by myself.
    I root several hundred cuttings each summer, over winter them in my unheated greenhouse, and sell them the following spring.
    I've found the more I try the more I can do.
    Keep working at it rosedigger. The more you do, the stronger you get. Gardening is a great rehab.
    I've found working with my roses to be a labor of love.
    Now it's old age and prostrate cancer that's slowing me down but I keep going.
    I told my wife I want to die in my garden, get cremated, and have my ashes spread on the roses so I'll always be in my garden.

• sherryocala
    12 years ago

Thanks for that, Karl. You're a wonder. All the best to you as you deal with the cancer. Do take care.

It's not an injury - only rheumatoid arthritis mostly in my hands and wrists, but the short handled shovel fits fine whereas pins and sewing needles no longer do. You can only do what you can do, but first you have to discover what that is. I hope you're gardening real soon, rosedigger.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

• reg_pnw7
    12 years ago

Yes, I managed to accumulate enough repetitive stress injuries to severely limit myself for a few years. Torn rotator cuff, severe tendinitis in both elbows, beginnings of carpal tunnel syndrome. As mentioned above, finding a good physical therapist works wonders. I rely heavily on chiropractic care too, as well as changing the way I do things and the kinds of tools I use. I'm actually in better shape now, than before. And I'm in my 50s! The therapist and chiropractor have changed the way I use my body so everything works better.

It didn't happen overnight, it's been a few years and I'm still working on some issues but I no longer feel particularly limited in the garden although there are things I might have done in the past that I won't even think of doing now - you have to work smarter to avoid re-injuring yourself. You can get better. It was very depressing at first I must say! to be banned from gardening for nearly a year.

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    12 years ago

Sherryocala, I've arranged to donate all my roses, greenhouse, and gardening supplies to a local arboretum. They're going to build a memorial garden in my name and my ashes will be spread there.
    I know from past experience, no one will take care of my roses if left in the yard. My daughter will get the house and she can't get her phone away from her ear long enough to do anything outside. My son-in-law is to much into sports and doesn't have time for yard work.

Rosedigger, I've adapted many garden tools to help make my gardening easier, and use many things not really meant for gardening.
    You have to work smarter and adapt!

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

Karl, we're dealing with the prostate cancer with my husband; don't give up, you're doing great!

I'm so impressed with how you all are dealing with this, shows what we're made of, for sure!!

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    12 years ago

Getting the right tools help. I often use a smaller drain spade to dig holes instead of a normal shovel. I also start off slow when getting back into physical work after a layoff. Sometimes I combine the two, experimenting with different tools until I find the one that works best,

• Noni Morrison
    12 years ago

It's so good to read of how others are dealing with the repetitive stress and health issues. I recently learned I have 2 disc problems in my neck and degenerative arthritis in my lower spine as well as the known tendonitis and worn out hand and shoulder issues I was aware of. So now at least I understand the pain. I am having to relearn how to do things, many of which were adaptions from before having my knees replaced 4 years ago.

Fortunately my husband, who used to be traveling more much of the year, just retired. He doesn't particularly like yard work but he will help me out with the heavy things. I wish he got some joy from the garden itself. He does like bragging about my garden to his friends :-)

I Am 65 and intend to die gardening at 95 so it is devastating to have to sit back and watch the weeds grow! I've been through the whole range of feelings about whether I should give up part of my garden that brings me so much joy. 3 days ago I got cortisone injections in my neck and now I can move around the house without pain. That is encouraging. I get the injections in my lower back in about 10 more days. But I know now that I have to do my work in much smaller increments and as Karl and Reg say, there are just some things you learn not to do.

My biggest issue right now is invasive weeds in my rose beds...Buttercup and Bishops Weed (I think), and a few others. I get it cleaned out then hurt myself and can't get back to it until it is all grown up weeds again. Also, last years strange winter killed off all my weaker roses. I have ordered replacements from Palatine so there will be a lot of prep needed this winter...if only we could figure out how to get the beds cleaned out.

I am thinking a good weeding with HUbby doing the digging while I pull out the roots form the loosened soil, them a deep mulching with straw. I won't use chemicals because I run an organic flower business.

I am hoping for some "On site" teaching from my physical therapist, with my husband involved if we can find some decent weather to do this.

I would so love to hear more of the tricks you other aging gardeners have come up with! I have tried a little garden scoot thing but it doesn't help with the bending over to weed or plant.I don't have a problem with pruning as long as I use the sharp tools and hubby will haul away the prunings. He is also good at hauling loads of compost for me. He helps me plant the roses when they come. He is totally uninterested in them. He only does it because he loves me.

I have about 130 roses in several different areas. None of them are doing as well as they could. This year hubby was traveling much of the time and I was unable to get them even fertilized with all the crappy weather, then so much to do at once.

• rosedigger
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Everyone thank you so much. I've read each and every one of your posts. I remember how gardening was like a therapy to me. I will begin with working on the core exercises my therapist had me do, it did help so why did I stop?
    It's been so encouraging to read all your experiences, and all of you have become strong even in your pain, and haven't allowed it to stop you, and you are adjusting..and not giving up.

It's really motivating me to try this again and will be worth all the effort. Today, I am going to get out and take a good long look at my garden but so far I do know this, my roses need to be deadheaded, slowly and carefully though:)
    That's a start!

• finchelover
    12 years ago

I am in same position,I was lucky my grandboys came over so I got them to plant some bulbs for me and clean up an area I wanted them to do back area where all my beautiful roses are where queen Ann's Lace got into but when they took a look they said " I think grandma we will wait till it freezes more" I know the QAL have already gone to seed maybe if I can get Preen laid down several times I will catch those seeds from sprouting. I am able to go out now for about 15 min @ at time. You will figure out on your own what you can do and for how long. Good luck.

• teka2rjleffel
    12 years ago

Karl, sorry to hear about your prostate cancer. A friend is going through that too. You inspire me to change my will. Die in the garden and have my ashes spread among the roses. I can't think of a better way.
    Rosedigger, my sister is going through the same thing. She has chronic lyme's disease and has no energy. She really pushes herself to be in her garden. It is so theraputic. I often wonder if I would be happier without the frustration of modern roses, which in this climate are nice about 2 months of the year, while old roses take a licking and keep on keeping on. Maybe your garden can be adapted to easier plants including some easier roses? Maybe once in a while hire someone to help with weeding, mulching, etc.

• sherryocala
    12 years ago

Karl, that sounds like an excellent plan for your rose garden after you're gone. I wouldn't have thought of that. Also, I wouldn't give up on your daughter. I was 57 when I started my rose garden - in fact, any serious gardening. Don't give up on her or your son-in-law. They could surprise you. And sometimes the gardening bug skips a generation. My grandmother gardened, then her daughter (my mother) didn't, and now I do. Nana has been gone a decade or more, but I think of her often in the garden and miss her. We have to leave our best behind and trust that those who follow will pick up the banner. They usually don't fail in some form or fashion.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

I agree with sherrycola, I didn't get into gardening all that much until I got older. My Grandmother and Mom both gardened and I was exposed to it from childhood. But when you're young you have too many other interests or are to busy building your life. As you age and get established you find you have more time to spend on things like gardening.