SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claudette_g

Roses and a new garden

13 years ago

Hi everyone...

This my first post to the forum... I'm a NC native and i haven't been gardening much since moving to my current home or the last ten years really, as I was overseas. But I'm not too far from one of my prior homes in NC, but the soil is VERY different.. I was over in the Cameron area, so lots of sand, now my soil is clay... So both need lots of amending.

I spent the weekend adding rotted manure to my new beds. I ordered some english roses for them. Most of them were types I grew at my old house, and i think they will do well. About the only thing I have already put in is a Lady banks rose, it's 2 years old and really taking off.

I was wondering if anyone was growing english roses and what ones do te best in NC. I'm planning on doing a mixed garden, cottage style and hoping some of my favorites will do ok in the clay. I hope salvia black and blue will not mind being a little wetter...

I haven't gardened a lot in the past 10 years so I'm woefully behind on the best new plants, any suggestions would be welcome. Long flowering types who won't mind a little negect.

thanks,

Claudette

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz