SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reeko05

Northern Illinois, Mchenry County, Shade tree

reeko05
9 years ago

Hi Everyone,
My wife and I want to plant a nice shade tree between the edge of my patio and the fence. We have about 10-12 feet between the patio and fence. The neighbors shed sits about 2 feet from my fence on the other side. We currently have a White Ash which is infected and must be removed this fall in the center of the yard which once removed, we would like to plant a tree on the opposite side of the patio, which is the small unused area to provide shade in the evening.

I am hoping people can tell me which route to go. I went to the local nurseries, seems they all suggest a Pear tree such as the Bradford Pear. My wife and I dislike the scent and we want a tree that will not drop alot or any if possible. Also the ability to resist insect infestation would be great. We currently have 2 large pines on one side of our home, a red maple on the other side of our home and a white birch in the front yard.

What type of tree would you suggest, guessing 40-50 feet tops in height, around 30 max width. Clean tree with little to no droppings due to being eventually over our patio and low maintenance is a plus. Thanks

Comments (8)