SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luxrosa

Emmanuella de Mouchy' ? more info. please...

luxrosa
12 years ago

I've loved 'Susan Louise' ever since meeting her, I thought it a rosebush fit for a fairy tale, the bush grown with a bare trunk like a tree, up to a canopy spreading 18 feet wide. Those lovely huge pink and hundreds if not thousands of pink and cream roses dangling downwards facing the viewer, from a canopy filled with an abundance of healthy leaves. It is altogether an impressive plant. I only wish Susan Louise had a few more petals to fill out her blooms, and my desire for this was so strong that I decided to learn to hybridize roses with the intention of accomplishing this. Recently I learned that a pink Hybrid Gigantea that re-blooms already exists and from photos it appears fuller than Susan Louise. I had not thought to find such a rose under a Large Flowered Climber list at a nursery, but there it was. I wouldn't have looked for it at all but saw the 'Emmanuella de Mouchy" Hybrid Gigantea listed on a list for a charity auction near San Diego.

'Emmanuella de Mouchy'

bred in France by Paul Nabbonand

introduced in 1922

I have not seen this rose in person, but I do love the photos of the bloom at helpmefind.com

More petals than Susan Louise, but none of the photos show the plant, other than a few leaves. I'm not a person who grow a rose for the beauty of its blooms unless the plant is attractive.

Emmanuella de Mouchy was bred from

R.gigantea X Lady Waterhouse which makes her

1/2 wild rose, plus 25% H.T. plus 25% Noisette.

I've been looking for a pink Tea-Noisette

for several years and it took until Oct. 2011 for me to become aware of 'Emmanuel de Mouchy' which, by happy fate I saw was listed at a charity auction near San Diego and looked up its breeding profile.

at one nursery is sold as a Large Flowered Climber, and on helpmefind.com it is listed as a Hybrid Gigantea.

Can anyone please tell me if it;

-is fragrant?

-is tender to cold?

-re-blooms as often as most Tea-Noisettes?

where I live Tea-Noisettes reliably produce a bloom cycle in Spring, Summer and Autumn and if dead-headed will re-bloom more often.

Thanks, Lux

P.S.

'Emmanuella de Mouchy' intrigues me because it was bred from crossing a wild rose,R. gigantea with

'Lady Waterlow' which was bred from crossing a Hybrid Tea with a Noisette. This would make Emmanuella de Mouchy a close cousin of the Tea-Noisette, and I wonder if the rose might be better served by being sold under that group name. It took me more than 5 years to find that Emmanuella de Mouchy existed, for I've been searching for a Pink Tea-Noisette or a rose like it, under Teas and Tea-Noisette and climbing Tea rose lists at nurseries.

Comment (1)