SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

Perhaps I may have a garden one day

melissa_thefarm
10 years ago

Since the weather started to cool down back in late September I've been working a good deal in the big garden; in the hopeless, awful, sun-blasted, wind-whipped big garden. Back in August it all looked dead. This was a poor year for roses, lots of cane damage, not much bloom. I know by now that the warm climate roses require very extensive soil amendment--great big holes, and lots of decomposed hay added--and if they don't get it, when an unusually wet winter comes along their roots rot and they die. I planted quite a few without adequate soil amendment before I figured this out, and am paying for it still. 'Anna Jung', that was so beautiful in the fall, is reduced to one diseased cane. I had been going back and reworking the soil around many suffering roses but didn't do that one because it was so thriving. This was a mistake. Perhaps it was root damage that stressed the roses and made them so susceptible to cane girdler over the summer.
Anyway I knew I had to face the music, that is, start cleaning up the big garden, and each area was more distressing than the last. We have one corner I wrote off a few years ago. It's a pile of rocks with a stunted walnut growing out it, with the compacted soil of the road on one side and pottery-quality gray clay and elms on the other. Years ago DH had a load of soil hauled in and dumped over the rocks, to discourage snakes living there; I planted various things that got overgrown with Bermuda grass. Then some years later the ground dropped 2'-3' vertical feet in a slump, a demoralizing experience. This year the walnut died. To my surprise, though, when I looked at it this fall, I found the buddleia, phlomis, vitex, box, Salvia 'Hotlips' alive and happy, as well as the well-established rosemary, newish lilac, and last fall's Italian cypress (for which I dug an impressive hole); the palm, eleagnus, loquat, and lentiscus planted years ago: all doing fine. This was inspiring. I pulled and dug out quantities of Bermuda grass and added shrub germander, thyme, more rosemary, another phlomis, a pile of seedling evergreen oaks, in the hopes of a background of evergreen woodland to my dry sunny plantings, and a house eating rose next to the dead tree. Cleaned up the half-overwhelmed lavender, shifted a daisy subshrub and some iris as part of the emerging plan, and began to entertain hopes that I might actually have a garden here one day.
Autumn is a hopeful time in this part of the world. The grass and little herbs sprout and grow green and lush, even as berries and hips ripen and leaves change color and fall. My pink dahlia is blooming along with the electric violet-blue of Salvia guaranitica, and the cyclamen, which have been in bloom since September, are still making a show. Fall is when I do almost all my digging and planting, so that plants have all winter and spring to settle in before the summer drought arrives. There seems some point to cleaning up now (I wish DH hadn't put away the motor scythe for the winter), unlike in the desert of summer.
Normally this phase has passed by now, given way to the dismal chill gray of November, but we've had a very mild fall this year and it's still pretty. The last couple of days I've been working my way up the Tea Biscione, an early and frustrating planting that I had also largely written off as hopeless. It was satisfying to find that the tree peony that I thought had been overtaken by its herbaceous rootstock had a healthy growth of woody stems; and I was able to find and cut out the buds of the suckering rootstock. One of the seedling palms we planted years ago is still alive. (I wish I had more of these now. I would like a palm grove.) There was a hypericum buried in the grass, along with some hyssop I had forgotten about. 'Mme. Laurette Messimy' planted years ago and left to its own devices is healthy and growing. The baby privet and Osmarea both survived the summer. And the rich covering of grass which is duly smothering the aromatic subshrubs suggests that the ground has considerably improved in fertility: it never looked this good before.
I dug two more rose holes, adding lots of old hay, and am now pondering happily on which of my cutting-grown roses to plant. Last fall's cuttings were another massacre, but even a sorry ten percent success rate with three hundred cuttings gives me some roses to find spots for. We need much lighter soil in the propagation beds.
Melissa

Comments (15)