SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lgslgs

Hooray hooray!

lgslgs
15 years ago

Whew.

I think I just finished sowing all of my perennials and hardy annuals!

Yesterday I finished the very last bit of prep on my garden expansion and plunked HOSs for the very first time (some bachelor buttons, xeranthemum, and some of my Paulan70 peony poppies.)

In sproutland all sorts of seedlings are peeking up. I saw the first bit of green on my sea holly today. No signs of life yet in the bazillion echinacea containers but enough other stuff it popping up each day that I do believe this really will be the year that I get coneflowers to germinate.

The germination level on the stuff so far is just amazing. My oddball set up with the pots in trays and plastic bag tents is working great. Weather here is currently having enough warm days that the bags on the sprouties are open most of the time and just clipped shut when a freeze threatens.

I've just planted out a few containers so far (under 50) and it's going really fast. Most of my garden space is new this year and the bulk of the soil prep was done in the fall with just a bit of light cultivating to puff up the soil this spring. There is such a world of difference planting out into March soil compared to planting out into May/June soil here. Things don't bake dry immediately and we haven't yet hit the gully washer/drought/repeat/repeat weather patterns. We also have a little moisture in the ground for the first time in almost 3 years. It's a great year here for a big garden expansion.

Winter sowing is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cool! Boy am I ever glad I went all out with it this year.

Here a photo of some of the sprouties out in their big new garden:

{{gwi:368586}}

And the link will take you to more of this month's garden photos.

Lynda

Here is a link that might be useful: March garden photos

Comments (11)

Sponsored