3 years ago

Shoppers who don’t wear a mask when shopping because of a ‘medical condition’,

will be required to wear a face shield.

https://apple.news/AUY42MW2BRo6j4KdaexfvZQ

Comments (70)

• Chi
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

The problem is that a lot of people will claim they have a medical condition when they don't. And it ruins it for the small percentage who have legitimate breathing issues. I can't tell you how many otherwise healthy young adults in their 20's and 30's I've seen citing "medical conditions" to avoid masks.

Getting them to wear a shield is better than nothing, I suppose, but I still think it's going to spread the virus more than not allowing anyone in without a mask.

I don't see it as discrimination in these circumstances to prohibit people without masks. It's a global pandemic, and almost every store offers pick up and delivery options if you can't, or prefer not to, go into stores. Anyone can still get all of their supplies without exposing others. If people want to get out and roam around without masks, they can do so outside of public places.

• foodonastump
    3 years ago

Right, but are they wearing face shields in their place? I’m suggesting that mandating shields will discourage faking a condition.

ETA - Chi I see some paragraphs appeared after I posted. Face shields are better than nothing just like 90% of what passes for masks is better than nothing. I do see it as unnecessary discrimination, but am happy to agree to disagree.

• Related Discussions

Garden Center is open! HOORAY!

Q

Comments (5)
    Hey Stevation, I've never grown seeds indoors so I can't say personally which method is better, winter sowing or starting seeds indoors. It seems to me that growing seeds indoors is so much work. Plants tend to be leggy or they die of damp off. Then you have to acclimate the plants to the outdoors. With winter sowing I just put my seeds into containers and put them into the snow and cold and pretty much forget about them. Of course when the weather warms I have to take care that the seedlings have enough moisture and that the containers don't get too hot in the bright sun. Since the seeds sprout outside I don't have to acclimate them. I've had seeds sprout and then snow on top of them with not one seedling lost. Another reason I like winter sowing is because I don't have the room in the house to set up indoor seed starting. I encourage you to visit the winter sowing forum and read the FAQs. They explain the method so much better than I can.
    ...See More

Best memory foam mattress topper/seller?

Q

Comments (11)
    Thank you all -- Geez, there is a world of info out there now...I had checked *some* threads here, but they were so-so...don't think I saw terri's thread. That link was great, walkin. Oddly enough, we decided to get a 1" Venus pad at overstock--I think they're there because Foamex went out of business--amazing discount. If we need any more thickness (I know 1" is very odd, but it's 8 lb. foam), we'll get another less dense pad for on top of it. Should be very interesting to see how it's different from what we have now. I'll keep the idea of the thick quilted mattress pad, tracey -- that might be a great way to address the heat issue. I also read on one of the gweb threads that if you put shelf liner under the pad, it will keep it from shifting around on the bed. Great! I have too much Ikea shelf liner I bought in the as-is section a few years ago -- so I know what I'll do with it now :)
    ...See More

Just want a washer that WORKS.

Q

Comments (40)
    Lascatx, yes I believe water levels in FL'ers are much lower than they were 8 years ago. .many people say their clothes appear wet but there's no visable water at all in the washer. I just bought my first FL'er about a month ago after a long life of TL washers, I was nervous about what I've heard about current day washers water levels, but think I got lucky as I chose a discontinued tier ll Whirlpool Duet, the newer Whirlpool Duets are tier lll which means they use even less water. I don't have a washer full of water of course but other than the Normal cycle I at least have a small lake and apparently its enough because my whites have never been Whiter. But yes current FL'ers use less water than they did 8 years ago.
    ...See More

Help with living room

Q

Comments (39)
    true...but every nicer curtain (say linen, linen/cotton, silk, embroidered, etc etc) will be approximately in Anthropologie range, or even just start there..including this Country Curtains site, and couple more nice sites I've learned about here..I forgot the names now. I pinned them to my boards to remember so technically I can dig them out and give you links..but it won't be cheaper..not at all. Pottery Barn is not exactly cheap either..looked into them too. Some nice designs and prints-and the prices are pretty steep. I'd say the same range. You can get sometimes much better prices on Anthropologie too..it happened to me with these family room panels. Big sale, etc. I was very lucky with these. But the moment we talking designs and patterns and blah blah-yes, the price will be different. I usually sit quietly like a cat waiting for a mouse..very patiently waiting for sale or promotion or something like that. Sometimes the curtains are simpler, cheaper, and I need just a pair, and I'm very sure..usually happens with cotton ones...:) I liked some brocade curtains on Country Curtains site a lot..decided to remember them for the future if needed. Because I don't want to take our curtains down, for showings, we still live here after all..and I have a feeling buyers will like some of the curtains.. Hopefully though they'll despise them:) Back to your home though-another option-checking E Bay. But has its minuses. Returns can become less easy, etc, etc. I still bought there things I loved, but mostly clothes and lighting and sheets...stuff like that. Overall, positive experience. Some hunting is involved though. 6 similar panels are harder to find there of course. Possible, but harder.
    ...See More
  • Joaniepoanie
    3 years ago

I heard a dr on TV say there is no medical reason people cannot wear a mask other than severe facial burns. Masks do not inhibit breathing. If that were the case drs and nurses who wear them all day would be fainting all over the place. I don’t see how a shield with a wide open bottom does anything to prevent spread.

You can’t walk into Costco, a restaurant, an airplane barefoot and no shirt and no one seems to have an issue with that. Places just need to revise their signs to “No shoes, no shirt, no mask—no service.” Why is wearing a mask for an hour while shopping such a big deal? And if you really don’t want to wear a mask order curbside pickup and do takeout meals.

• lily316
    3 years ago

I don't believe there is a medical condition that would prevent shopping for an hour with a mask. If it is, then stay home and shop online. You can be arrested for failure to use seatbelts and you wouldn't walk into Costcos or any store without a shirt or shoes.

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

I don’t see how a shield with a wide open bottom does anything to prevent spread

Photo posted above says it all - look at how the shape of it even aligns with the nose, so that the nostrils are pointed at the open bottom of the shield.

The purpose of the things is to protect against flying blood and spit etc. - they have absolutely no applicability to the containment or reduction of floating virus particles.

Same with bandannas, masks or scarves that are open at the bottom. Or masks that are worn just barely on the nose, with big spaces around the nostrils (I call it nose in a boat) - any combination where the breath is escaping is not doing the job. Since I can't get a complete seal using only the built in wire to crimp the top of the model of mask I have been wearing I have been using medical tape to close the gaps. Hurts when I pull it off after I get home but COVID can be extremely uncomfortable.

• foodonastump
    3 years ago

Masks do not inhibit breathing.

JP any mask that does not somewhat inhibit breathing would fall under the category “better than nothing.” Little more than spit shields which is what the face shields are as well. Nobody is going to put on a big old face shield because they’re feeling rebellious. I think it would be far more productive to offer this option than so that you can more easily enforce 100% compliance, than to try to tell a fraction of a percent of the population that they’re not allowed into a store.

• bragu_DSM 5
    3 years ago

... and require masks for those 'support animals' too

• foodonastump
    3 years ago

Photo posted above says it all - look at how the shape of it even aligns with the nose, so that the nostrils are pointed at the open bottom of the shield.

The purpose of the things is to protect against flying blood and spit etc. - they have absolutely no applicability to the containment or reduction of floating virus particles.

Here are some photos that show it all, too. You know those blue masks everyone’s wearing? These?

Well there’s me in one, and here’s how good a job it does blocking my breath:

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

When I am successful at sealing the top with tape I don't see or feel much indication of breath escaping. But I am probably soon going to move onto the $20 product that can be washed 30 times, comes with a set of 3 filter inserts that last 5-7 days each. Because the packaging claims they provide a very high level of protection, provides specific details about this.

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

Or masks that are worn just barely on the nose, with big spaces around the nostrils (I call it nose in a boat)

Yes, that drives me crazy, especially since people that wear their mass so low on the nose are constantly having to push them up. If you can see the flare at the sides of the nose the mask is too low.

• foodonastump
    3 years ago

That’s great, Embo. But that’s not what 99% of people are using. This summer in NY Metro proved that with substandard masks and social distancing we can get this virus under relative control. Continued vigilance is going to go a whole lot further than fretting over a handful of people that can’t wear a mask for whatever reason.

• donna_loomis
    3 years ago

I can't imagine someone even WANTING to wear a proper (if there IS one) shield. While eyeglasses may fog, wouldn't a shield be worse? And every touch will leave a smudge or fingerprint. No thank you. I will keep wearing a mask. And I'll steer clear of anyone wearing a shield.

• just_terrilynn
    3 years ago

I sometimes wear a shield like this teamed with a 2 ply no filter mask. Mostly I do that if I have any workmen in here. Believe it or not it’s more comfortable than just the 2 ply with added filter. If I’m having allergies and my sinuses are messed up the added filter makes it harder to breathe and I find I fiddle with the mask.

Someone here turned me on to the one below. When I bought mine I got three for the price one is now selling for.

I get the strangest looks when I wear the shield for some reason.

• Cherryfizz
    3 years ago

I wish people would wear their masks correctly and I was surprised at how many people were allowed into Costco the one and only time I have been there since the Pandemic. No one was self distancing, and so many people had their masks under their noses or on their chins. We are allowed to only have a gathering of up to 10 people in our homes but our Costco was allowing 300 people in to shop. I got what I needed quickly and got out of there fast and have no plans on going back. My debit card was misplaced so I had to go to the bank a few weeks ago to get a new card. I could have done it over the phone but it would have taken a week to arrive so I opted on going into the bank. Big mistake since there was a line up and my back was so bad I was in a lot of pain. I had my mask on, my asthma had been acting up lately and I was starting to overheat and I thought I was going to pass out with the mask on my face but I persevered, did my business and got out, tore my mask off so I could breath. Now I know I have to stay home if I find the mask is bothering me. I can wear it for a short time but not for any length of time. People who can't wear a mask should stay home to protect themselves and to protect others. There is nothing I need that someone else couldn't get for me or that I can order by phone or online. I could have waited for that bank card and made other arrangements for the payment I did need to make at the time.

• aziline
    3 years ago

I go to Costco once a month since it is an hours drive. I don't remember the exact time line but at first they had every other checker closed and plexi glass up. Later they had moved around the check stands. And then moved them around again. I mentioned this to the checker and she said they were trying to reconfigure to match covid protocals. She said it was pretty costly to do so.

I must admit I like it better now. Doesn't feel as crammed in.

• Oakley
    3 years ago

The other night at the CMA's. Carrie's from Oklahoma. 'Nuff said.

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

^^^^^ Oakley, that is ridiculous!!

• OllieJane
    3 years ago

Oakley, if I hated Oklahoma as much as you seem too, I'd probably move.

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

Yeah, the comment about Oklahoma is the important part of that post. And not the 2 idiots in the picture laughing as though they think the whole COVID thing is a joke.

The shield the model is wearing in the preceding picture will do absolutely nothing to screen virus particles. Same as the one in the photo upthread.

I went to a mall store, a Home Depot and then a Cost Co this afternoon. It was a nightmare, with uncooperating people everywhere - it continues to be quite apparent why the virus is sweeping through the US population.

At the mall a teen or twenty something boy was walking down the middle of heavily used walkway, no mask anywhere in sight. This was outdoors, but still...

I'm going to have to change to making the most use of early morning senior hours I can. The low temperatures at that time of day be damned - being dead is pretty cold also.

• nekotish
    3 years ago

Shields are fine, but ultimately they should be worn WITH a mask. That is hospital procedure in our area. The shield protects you, the mask protects others, but the bottom line is just stay home as much as you possibly can.

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

Masks need to be worn immediately and not ultimately - shields are for projectiles and not floating droplets. With the same space around them that allows the shield wearer's breath to blow right out also allowing the wearer to suck in whatever is floating around them.

This matter is too serious for numbers of Americans to be continuing to use protection methods that do not actually confer significant protection. Or wearing nothing at all where multiple other people are present, outdoors or not - entering and exiting the stores here yesterday was like running a gauntlet, particularly at Home Depot where masks were being donned at the last second before entering the store and whisked off soon after getting out the door.

• maddielee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

From a meme - edited because using certain, actual names get posts removed.

As of yesterday, 83 times as many of people have died of Covid as died on 9/11.

How many Americans would have objected to wearing masks if Laura’s husband had said it was necessary to protect them from terrorism?

• foodonastump
    3 years ago

Embo - Here’s the point I’m trying to make, perhaps not most effectively. A certain amount of the population is going to claim that they cannot wear masks, and they will submit legal challenges if they are discriminated against. We must give them an option. Giving them an option not to wear protection at all opens that option to everyone who doesn’t feel like wearing one. Give them an option to wear a shield and a) most people who are objecting for “personal freedom” reasons would probably choose a mask over a shield if forced to choose one, and b) you’d at least stop some large droplets if the person coughs or sneezes or otherwise has a projectile fly from their mouth.

I’m open to better alternatives, but telling people “tough luck shop online” will open up a can of worms. You gonna buy an old lady a computer and internet access and classes to teach her how to use all that? It’ll never end.

• Chi
    3 years ago

"We must give them an option. Giving them an option not to wear protection at all opens that option to everyone who doesn’t feel like wearing one."

It's just a difference of opinion. I don't agree that we need to give people an option. I think it's perfectly ok, during a global pandemic, to require EVERYONE to wear a mask in public places like the grocery store. No mask = no entry.

I do make exceptions for medical care, since there aren't really many alternatives other than in-person visits. I saw an elderly gentleman on oxygen at my doctor's office who was wearing a shield instead of a mask, as I assume the mask gets in the way of his oxygen tubes. I'm okay with that.

But grocery stores, restaurants, things like that, where there are multitudes of alternatives should have stricter requirements. Yes, maybe not everyone is capable of downloading an app and making a purchase online, but there are programs in many communities designed to help with exactly that. I've seen them in my new tiny town. There are resources available.

The problem is that when we keep making exceptions, it's a slippery slope.

• foodonastump
    3 years ago

I think it's perfectly ok...

What you or I think is of little consequence in a land with protections against discrimination.

• petalique
    3 years ago

Cosco and other stores should, IMO, be firm about requiring well-fitting, 3ply masks on everyone in the store. Those who cannot or will not wear a mask, can shop online or have someone else shop for them. The virus spread in the air does not care about even the most worthy rationales for not wearing a proper mask that fits well. It is purely a matter of air flow, physics and biology.

Try to leave infants at home or outside of stores and public spaces. We are in the midsts of an out of control, raging pandemic with serious consequences. Healthcare workers are being put at increasing risk and are getting burnt out. Some have been required to show up for work while infected.

Recent reports show that proper masks truly do offer substantial benefits for others and also to the wearer.

Dr. Vin Gupta has a short video segment (squeezed into an MSNBC program) about the masks. The upshot is this:

1. One of the best mask choices, given the shortages on N95 respirators (barely available for frontline medical workers), is a classic 3-ply procedural mask (they are usually blue on the outside, white on the inside). Get ones with a nosepiece that’s can be formed for a close fit around your nose and upper face. Widely available nowadays and typically 50 for $15 to $25.

2. Some fabric masks with high thread count fabric and (Dr. Gupta said) a different fabric on the inside. Re entry more research has been done of the optimal secondary materials for inside or filtering.

3. Worst, most ineffective masks include:

(a) ”Neck Gaiters” — these are too flimsy, single layered. They may only give the illusion of a mask, but do not stop respired virus laden air from passing though them with substantial velocity.

(b) Flimsy fabric masks that are more akin to the fabric of women’s lingerie.

(c). “Bandanas” — Not at all adequate.

My notes: If you have a needle and thread or a sewing machine, you can (if the straps let go) take a stitch or two where the straps attach to the edge of the masks. The straps are commonly pressed into the edge or glued. You can also take a stitch or two and shorten a stretched or too long a strap.

Wear the mask well up over the tip of your nose. The idea, as most of us know, is to attenuate, damped or greatly bog down exhaled breath. So we want to mask fitting without gaps at the tops and sides. Of course, cover your nose.

Some masks with quotes or statements are often not designed well. And, maybe ditch the statements if they could be perceived as inflammatory. The idea is to filter and attenuate exhaled breath. To help knock down infection levels.

Here is an excellent video on how one can get a better fit with the classic 3-ply procedural face mask which are now widely available. It is very simple and helps close gaps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TTg53aAP8Q

I hope this thread and post stays here. This is a worldwide virus that has repercussions on many aspects of our lives — economies, world health, national security, and even decorating, remodeling, home purchases. (No one is coming into my home during this pandemic.) if for whatever reason this thread of post goes missing, I expect to put the gist of my post on a few other hospitable venues.

We all need to work together smartly and with the best sense of community and shared goals. We can do it.

PS. Please forgive me if I sound preachy, know-it-all or pedantic. I have had the experience of seeing four loved one’s dying while gasping for breath. (The events were somewhat spread out, but it is an enormously helpless feeling for patients, staff and family.)

• foodonastump
    3 years ago

Here’s a thread where you’ll hear stories about stores not risking protecting their merchandise against theft:

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/6027852/if-you-saw-someone-shop-lifting#n=27

Now you gonna put it on them to fight people on their perceived constitutional rights? Good luck with that.

• petalique
    3 years ago

Thanks, FOAS. I will read it.

Before I do, I do get that it might be a dicey situation. We need effective education (good public service announcements might help) and leadership.

Ever miss a government deadline for say taxes or FLEX account filing for refund? Sorry. Doesn’t matter if a train ran you over. Late = zero refund.

Fail to wear a motorcycle helmet and you might get a ticket, or you might end up in the Emergency Department then ICU with a head the size of a basketball and unable to respond to any stimuli.

I would not be willing to risk bodily injury to insist that someone with his/her “rights” wear a mask. But, I suspect some solutions can be worked out with some information and leadership and will. Not perfect, but eventually better.

Ever play tug o war with a rope and a strong dog? There’s fast losing, and there’s slow winning. I have no prize worthy answers. But I do see where things are at today with the pandemic and a lot of willful and woefully ignorant people.

US just ‘won’ 10,000,000 cases. So unnecessary.

And there’s a lot of people not getting medical care, bills paid, education. I know you know. We all know. I hope for good solutions.

• dexx215
    3 years ago

Excellent information. I’m saving it for future reference.

• foodonastump
    3 years ago

Petalique - I completely appreciate the sentiments of those arguing against me, but I just feel that the best chance at a best result is to be realistic. We live in a society that seems obsessed with feeling discriminated against and will challenge any slight, real or perceived, in the courts. “Reasonable accommodation” is key to get the most amount of people on board.

• nicole___
    3 years ago

I applaud Costco! EVERYONE should wear a mask. I'm a little scared.

My husband was on a job site where two electricians tested positive for covid. No ONE.....on construction sites wear masks. No one. He had to get tested before they'll allow him back onsite. We may both have it....?

We BOTH went in for testing yesterday/Friday.

• Vada
    3 years ago

"US just ‘won’ 10,000,000 cases. So unnecessary"

petalique, by "cases" you mean positive test results, not sick people. Is that correct?

• Gooster
    3 years ago

There are people willfully flaunting the existing entry requirements. I was in Costco a few weeks ago and saw a woman with a "face shield" that consisted of a thin film of plastic about the two inches square, that hung from a small clip at the end of her nose. I wish I had a picture of it to show, but was seriously ridiculous. I don't know how she got in. This was not a medical necessity.

• Chi
    3 years ago

People trying to sue businesses are going to have a hard time. The ADA requires that businesses provide "reasonable accomodations" for people who can't wear masks for medical reasons. "Reasonable accomodations" include delivery, online ordering, curbside pickup and any number of alternatives that keep everyone safe. I think someone would have a hard time proving discrimination when there multiple options available from the store to get their supplies in a way that keeps everyone safe. I cannot find anything that supports that people have the right to stroll through stores without a mask, disability or not, when there are alternatives.

From the Department of Justice: "The ADA does not provide a blanket exemption to people with disabilities from complying with legitimate safety requirements necessary for safe operations."

• foodonastump
    3 years ago

Hope I’m wrong!

• petalique
    3 years ago

Vada, I am not sure. I will try to find out when I can. I would think that a positive test indicates that the subject has Covid-19 even it they are not prevention with symptoms at the time of the test. The CDC or the Johns Hopkins site probably defines what a case is.

There are likely more people who would test positive if more testing were done. What are your thoughts?

• petalique
    3 years ago

Addendum to Mask comments & Info:

Lars brought this up a while back & it is an important point.

Those vented masks do not protect anyone from your respiration and virus particles if you have them and wear such a mask. I see them advertised a lot and even have some N95 vented masks. They are good for using while doing such thirds as sanding, mowing and other dusty work. But, of course they will not trap any virus particles. I have heard at least one member of the Coronavirus Task Force (remember that?) declare them to be unsuitable for a mask to help thwart the spread of the SARS2-CoV-2 virus.

There are a variety of these being sold. Here is what I did to one of ours to try and see if it would close the vent in the N95 respirator.

With a craft glue gun I was able to easily lay down some of the melted glue stick to block the vent holes.

I have other masks that I wear, so do not rely on this one. This was more along the lines of a proof on concept experiment.

• foodonastump
    3 years ago

Gators are no good. Bandanas no good. Single ply no good. Vented no good.

Is it too late for the govt to set requirements not only for mask wearing but what exactly constitutes a conforming mask? If so we just hope that something is better than nothing?

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

A lot of our restaurants have the servers wearing safety glasses as well as masks. Since the safety glasses are clear, they're unobtrusive......just like the ones your dental hygienist wears regularly (at least mine has for the past few years).

But posting on Facebook, people are laughing, questioning that people are wearing goggles. smh. Big difference between goggles and plastic safety eyeware.

• petalique
    3 years ago

Hi Food,

I do not think that it is too late (not at all). There has been harm done (you can witness it daily in various quackery and misinformation campaigns. It is very disturbing, to be sure.

I think there are ways to communicate better messages and realistic goals. Someone, two or x people have made a mess of things, to be sure.

Sometimes dirty or no water has to come out of the tap. Lobstermen May need to see a huge dip in their catch, perhaps only after a third California rebuild will cause more people to re-evaluate.

Protective eyewear is smart. Learning isn’t always instant, as we know. I hope the note able obstructionist in some parts of the legislative branch flip. Look at what the current group has brought us.

I think, per hook or by crook, the thing to do and what is not wise to do will gain more footing. We will, with intelligent leadership, get there. How do you Persuade people or get them to listen or look at things differently? That will be a challenge and it will be easier if they stop hearing an avalanche of nonsense coming from Farias quarters who is interest is not align with their’s.

How do you persuade people or get them to listen or look at things differently? That will be a challenge and it will be easier if they stop hearing an avalanche of nonsense coming from various quarters whose interest is not align with theirs.

It is easy to be a fool, to not listen. And it is about as easy to be smug, dismissive and arrogant. Some of the incentives/motives to promote No-Masks, no reality has stemmed from greed and manipulation.

Inform people and keep doing so, illuminating how retain behaviors are in their best interests. Keep explaining, motivating, and forego any taint of superiority. Egoless governing and honest leadership is what’s most needed now.

• petalique
    3 years ago

FOAS, food, — as for giving people choices and alternatives — on the surface, I like that. Sounds good. But we are in unprecedented times, uncharted and very dangerous water. Extremely troublesome “leadership” which has resulted in massive failure — huge income disparity (lop sides, biased opportunity), an out of control pandemic from abysmal, zero action and wise leadership, and an economic crash for most of the country’s citizens.

Remember that the out of control, Bush fire pandemic in the US began with only a few cases. And some leaders completely disregarding crucial information.

If any less contagious infection, so out of control for so long, I might be willing to forgive segments of the population no masking up, distancing or insisting on their right to infect others. But we are fighting serious battles and do not have that luxury.

Choices and Alternatives

There are lots of situations where the only choice most citizens get is to comply. Now!

If one is in a grocery store or library and nature suddenly calls, yells and the toilets are not available, is somebody coming by to offer me an alternative choice beyond ailing myself, creating a scene, or leaving the store? No!

If I am at an automatic toll and get into the auto pay lan by mistake, am I not going to get a mailed demand for $50 that will cost me more to explain than pay even if the toll taker in the adjacent lane waives me through? Dream on.

This pandemic is so out of control, purposely made so, that despite all our sympathy towards our fellows, we just cannot cannot cannot make exceptions. The easily to acquire coronavirus does not “do” exceptions. No Lake Wobegon passes.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    3 years ago

The information on what kind of masks are effective, and how to wear them correctly, has been out there for a decent amount of time now. Three layers, fits snugly over the bridge of the nose and chin and in contact with the skin on all sides. What the layers are made of is important also.

The problem is that 1) we did have constantly changing recommendations from the CDC and contradictory messages from other "experts" some bogus, some legit. 2) We have so many citizens who do not read legitimate news sources, or any news sources, or any source of information other than hearsay or facebook ... or think that they can best rely on their own opinion (ie "my common sense") of what is needed or adequate.

Take FOAS's post several up where it appears that he (she?) tried to show that the mask was ineffective, because he could produce water vapor condensation from around or through it.

A basic lack of knowledge of the function and purpose of such a mask. It is not to "block your breath" but to filter it, both on inhalation and exhalation. Water vapor in our breath will and should be able to escape through even N95s.

The only masks designed to get a air flow leak-proof seal around the edges are medical grade N95+. And, that number - 95 - indicates 95% effectiveness at filtering airborne particles - not 100%.

Surgical/procedure type masks are less effective (anywhere from 75-90% IIRC, depending on manufacture), but will do the job for most people in most casual, transient contact situations. Medical personnel need the higher grade masks because they are very often in very close, often prolonged, physical contact with people who may be contagious.

The point of masks in any situation is to reduce the risk of infection - acquiring or spreading - as much as possible.

• foodonastump
    3 years ago

Take FOAS's post several up where it appears that he (she?) tried to show that the mask was ineffective, because he could produce water vapor condensation from around or through it.

No, my point was not what goes through it but yes, around it. Perhaps it didn’t show (and/or I didn’t explain) as well as intended. The center was actually pretty clear. The way I look at it, if your glasses are fogging up and you feel air coming out up your eyes and around your cheeks or chin then I’m thinking the air is taking the path of least resistance and NOT being filtered. My glasses do not fog up with an N95 or KN95. So my thought is that the blue mask is more of a spit shield because it does not form a good fit. Most that I’m finding on the market seem to have a plastic strip that barely holds its shape over the bridge of your nose, but even the wire ones don’t seem great.

ETA - Kinda reminds me of the charcoal water filter that comes with the Cuisinart Keurig. The filter might have a chance of doing something if the water was actually forced to go through it!

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

So my thought is that the blue mask is more of a spit shield because it does not form a good fit. Most that I’m finding on the market seem to have a plastic strip that barely holds its shape over the bridge of your nose, but even the wire ones don’t seem great.

As stated previously this is why I have been using first aid tape to close the gaps. But inadequate coverings including gapping masks are so common in my area that I don't really think this can be blamed that much on varying recommendations from official sources. I think a lot of it is people still not taking the threat seriously - particularly in local rural areas, where completely uncovered faces being presented to randomly encountered other people not living in the same household is apparently still commonplace. Otherwise what I see is people working together not covering, as though they think the same household rule applies to same workplace as well - this morning while channel surfing I came across a talk show that is said to be broadcast live where the two hosts on screen at the time where uncovered and sitting barely 6' apart, if that.

And probably many of us now know about the TV interview with the ER nurse who described how she is is getting terminal COVID patients who insist right up to their last breath that they don't have COVID. I think we really are to the point where going out in public just isn't feasible for anyone who needs/wants to be sure of staying safe - which is quite a problem for me because I don't want to expose my credit card to the internet. And of course any delivery driver bringing stuff so ordered could be infected, same as the guy standing in front of me in a checkout line this week wearing a dish towel low on his nose. With a gap at the bottom - every time myself or another ends up in such circumstances we could be stepping into a COVID cloud after the careless party ahead moves closer to the register.

• mary_lu_gw
    3 years ago

My daughter is a middle school teacher. Her school is teaching a blended model with 4 days of face-to-face. Earlier this week the school board voted that when the state mask mandate ends tomorrow, they will no longer require students or staff to wear masks!!! I could not believe it!! :-(

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

which is quite a problem for me because I don't want to expose my credit card to the internet.

I'd say that should be one of the least of your worries.

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

Any use of that credit card that is not authorized by you or a member of your household unless you want that member prosecuted is covered by the bank's insurance. I have never understood other than the hassle of contacting the company and stating those charges are not mine why the concern.

• wednesday morning
    3 years ago

Oklahoma! just look at the ridiculous outfits those girls are wearing and it is no wonder that they have ridiculous face coverings as well. It reflects a great deal of vapidness on their part and on the part of those who come to watch them practice such vapidness. I don't know who those girls are but they both look pretty darned ridiculous and quite a bit tacky.

They are making a mockery of it all because that is most likely what their audience wants to see..tacky dressed blondes and vapid mockery.

Really, all most of us can expect from a mask is to keep the moisture droplets from being exchanged. Thus the need to also keep a distance while wearing a covering.

• foodonastump
    3 years ago

It looks to me like those shields are not “face coverings” of their choosing but shields attached to the microphones. Of course speaking over the top of them defeats the purpose, but another attempt at “better than nothing” I suppose. I can understand not wanting to wear masks for this presentation, but maintaining distance would seem a lot more reasonable.

• moosemac
    3 years ago

In Massachusetts, there is a mask mandate for both indoor and outdoor public spaces. The mandate does not give an option of masks vs. shields. The mandate gives employers the right to ask for proof of medical condition from an employee who claims that they can't wear a mask due to a medical condition. If the employee can't wear a mask due to a medical condition and their job can't be done remotely then they become unemployed. The order allows for an exception for residents who cannot wear a face-covering due to a medical or disabling condition but allows businesses to refuse service to those not wearing masks.

As an aside, I was at the grocery store the other day and a woman came towards me wearing a face shield. I immediately changed course to avoid her. I didn't say anything but she was highly offended and very vocal about it. She proceeded to follow me continuing her tirade about how I should be more empathetic regarding the fact she has a medical condition. I did not engage her and left the store.

I have a difficult time breathing with a mask on and am highly susceptible to respiratory illnesses. I do all my shopping online or order and pick up with the exception of the items I cannot get online or via pickup. I time my shopping trips to low volume times and keeep those trips to a minimum. I wear a mask out of courtesy to others and to protect myself and my family. Is it comfortable? No but I make it work the for the few trips and brief time I am out.