SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annalea123

Just want a washer that WORKS.

annalea123
7 years ago

So, I'm back. :-)

Ten years ago, we bought a $1400 Kenmore HE4T FL. We got a steal of a deal on the Gold-plated 6-year warranty, as it was mis-labeled at 1/3 the price. The Sears where we bought it honored the labeled price. Over the life of this washer, the main bearing has been replaced THREE times. (That's a $600+ repair.) Once we moved into a house with a reinforced tile floor in the laundry, the bearing stopped going out. It's now on concrete. And it's dying. I STILL haven't been able to get it fixed. (I already posted about what might be wrong with it about two weeks ago.) When I FINALLY got a repair guy out to look at it, the damn thing behaved like a trick pony, the door locking like it's supposed to and the water draining and EVERYTHING. GRRRRR.

The good behavior lasted for about two loads, and now we're back to snarky dFL errors and sneaky flooding. I'm done.

I REALLY want to just go buy a decent W/D suite at Costco.com and solve this problem. I have too many kids (six, all mine, all from one marriage, lol) and too much summertime in front of me to want to spend hours researching and trying to figure this out. I need to be able to wash a million pairs of jeans and shorts and underwear and socks and swim suits and bedding and household linens, asap. I figured that it was a fluke that my washer lasted this long (the warranty paying for the three bearing replacements while it was on a regularly-framed floor), and I'd really like to not buy something as horrifyingly expensive, yet that will last me for a good few years. My oldest is 16, my youngest is five. We're doing alright financially, but I don't want to spend more than I really need to, and I really just want to DO THE LAUNDRY ALREADY without having to go spend $35-40/week at the local laundromat. It was fun the first few times, but I'm ready to be done now. I still have an occasional bedwetter, and I'm so OVER having to drop everything to go get that stuff washed.

So, someone please give me some hope, here. My brain is full. I need concise info and good suggestions before I go stark raving mad from lack of access to reasonable laundry equipment . . . or I just go to Costco.com and pull the trigger on something that will break in a week . . .

Comments (40)