SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hills_gw

Look at what I found when I got home!

hills
17 years ago

Oh my God I thought I'd never see this flower it took so long about it.. but look! I am sooo pleased!

And if this isn't Australis subsp. australis, I might just eat my hat...

Hooray, hooray, it's a happy hoya day!

Comments (12)

• canttype
    17 years ago

Oh!!! Congratulations!!!

You'll have to repost when it opens up for you:-)

Good growing!
    Diane

• Cena
    17 years ago

If it has the bobble on the end of the leaf, I don't think hat is on the menu. Mine is for sure (on Diane's What to do post) H. a. v. tenuipes. Let me know how your's smells, mine is like Heaven On A Vine!

Congratulations are in order. Dancing at Hill's House!

• maimiti
    17 years ago

Congratulations :))
    I hope that you won't have to eat your hat... although there are many different australis subspecies that one looks more like ssp. tenuipes. I think most ssp. australis are pubescent...

• hills
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here it is, a couple of days later. I think i'm going to be enjoying this one for a few weeks!

Have to laugh at "I don't think hat is on the menu" - was thinking, hmmm, deep fried hat....

• mairzy_dotes
    17 years ago

Doesn't australis ssp. tenuipes have much more red around the coronas (on the back part of the corollas)? Mine do.
    Hers look like they are solid white.

• Cena
    17 years ago

Well, I have to say, the flower petal shape leads me to think tenuipes, but the aformentioned lack of red corona, has me scratching my head. I can't post pix right now, as I'm uploading...

Lovely flowers, no matter who!

(Hows the fragrance???)

• Cena
    17 years ago

So, yours may be a different variety. Especially without that center coloring. But still, so beautiful.

(How is the scent?) No, I'm not obcessed, I just have a bad smeller, and try to put things that smell lovely in my garden, I was SO impressed with all the blooms I got this fall, on this plant. It finally bloomed low enough so that I COULD smell it!

I hope you get an ID on yours. I would start the rounds, posting everywhere a Hoyan lurks, asking, asking, asking "have you ever seen this before? Do you know the name?"

• maimiti
    17 years ago

I think just about all forms of australis that I've seen have had a red marking behind the corona, but depending on light conditions flowers can be more or less colorful. I've seen Hoya siamica solid white and with red behind the corona and I once had red dots on the corona lobes of my Hoya limoniaca.... Quoting a well known Hoya grower "colour is not a good indicator to a species"

The reason I think it looks like ssp. tenuipes (it could be something else as there are so many varieties) is mainly that the plant looks completely glabrous but also the color of the leaves and new growth... not forgetting that it's also the most common australis in trade which probably affects my opinion. However, I've never seen a (correctly identified) ssp. australis that wasn't pubescent.

• langlin2000
    17 years ago

For what it's worth, I bought an Australis subsp. australis in 2004 on line and then went around to the hoya forums to get an ID. I was convinced it was in fact an australis ssp. tenuipes because of the lack of hair, the shape of the leaves and that tenuipes is commonly sold. Here is a link to the picture of mine.

Leon

Here is a link that might be useful: Leon's australis ssp. tenuipes

• maimiti
    17 years ago

Leon; that one looks just like a Hoya I had that David Liddle determined to be ssp. tenuipes. I was actually surprised as it looked a bit different from my other tenuipes and was expecting it to be something else, but he said they grow in different areas. On the other hand mine had flowered... the flowers of mine had a red spot behind the corona...

• maimiti
    17 years ago

Just another note... Depending on light conditions and other cultivating related details the leaves and flowers of a plant can differ a lot. I have two Hoya naumanii, one white flowering form and the regular pink, Both were originally grown in the tropics. I could have sworn they were both australis upon arrival as they looked like ssp. tenuipes leaves (now I mean the common dark leaved form). All new growth that has come in my house looks nothing like what they had when I got them. That being said, the australis I've may look different from others, and vice versa, as the ones I've seen were grown under Swedish conditions, and although Britain is quite close they have different light.

• langlin2000
    17 years ago

Maimiti, David was also who ID'd my tenuipes, I agree that the new growth on most of my cutting do look very different from the leaves on the original cuttings and it makes sense to me that it is the growing conditions. Mine has not yet bloomed but I think it will be like yours as well.

Leon

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio