SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mwiehn

Best Austins for Bedding Scheme

marcindy
10 years ago

I think I need your help. I have a future rose garden with four quadrants, little fountain in the center, 2ft high boxwood hedge around it. I would like to dedicate two of the four quadrants to growing English Roses, but have a hard time deciding which ones are better for this kind of bedding scheme.

Each quadrant offers room for about three to four varieties of between three and five plants each. I want to avoid the collection of single rose plants that ends up looking chaotic. But a grouping of three varieties of five plants each, or four varieties of three plants each would work.

I am in zone 5, maybe 6a-ish at this point. My only requirement is that they are fragrant (almost all Austins are) and healthy (as much BS resistance as possible). I am not fanatic about 100% resistance to BS and PM, but also don't want to look at bare sticks for half a growing season.The plants shouldn't exceed 4ft, except maybe for a center group who I could see getting to about 5ft, surrounded by lower growing ones. Color wise I am open to whatever, I have not seen an Austin rose color I didn't like. The two varieties I definitely want so far are Munstead Wood and Lady of Shallot. Please suggest some more good varieties of English Roses that will look "right" in this kind of bedding scheme/formal rose garden.

The garden is in full sun, soil is amended clay, pretty good soil for growing almost anything.

Thanks a ton for any suggestions from a design challenged gardener!!

Comments (20)

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor