SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christinew2004

Rose Newbie Wants to Order from VIntage

christinew2004
15 years ago

I'm fairly new to roses and completely new to OGR roses. I've read about Vintage and really want to help them--its so hard to find OGRs locally.

I live about 7 miles inland from the coast in Los Angeles. I have 2 toddlers and am pregnant with a third child so I don't spray and I try to limit chemical use--I do use Bayer advance but very carefully. Ideally I'd like to order between 4-6 new roses. Frangrance is important but ease of growing and rebloom are more important. Color right now isn't a big priorirty. I only have 1 white and no pink or red roses in my garden--last year I went crazy with orange and yellow. Big is ok but I don't want any ramblers (adore rosa bansae lutea but there is no way she'd fit in my garden) or octopus canes. I also want to pick roses that I might have difficulty finding healthy specimins of later.

After visiting Descanso Gardens I know that I want Reine des Violettes. I also really want Etoile de Hollande. I'd really like to add some teas and noisettes to the collection. ANd any suggestions for a single or double? I saw a beautiful display of Austin's Hero at Descanso yesterday and have always adored Dainty Bess when I've seen her in a garden. DH isn't a big fan of single roses but he lets me run the garden.

What would you suggest a newbie buy right now?

Thank you,

Christine W

Comments (18)