SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merlcat

Be careful What you wish for

merlcat
11 years ago

Well, we have some more sun in the back yard now. If you have ever read my posts you will know I complain that I have very little.

Too bad it had to happen by half a tree falling on my Volkswagen. Crap.

We are hoping it is not as bad as it looks. It seems like the tree limb split the dogwood in half, and that it took much of the weight. The other end of the main log is being held up by a big stone fireplace. So, perhaps the car is as not as badly damaged as it could have been.

I guess the lesson is be careful what you wish for.

On the up side, I didn't take out any roses, At least I hope. I think the bent dogwood branches may have buffered Black Magic, though it does look like it split the dogwood in half. I think the dogwood took most of the weight of the log. It was doing well and starting to grow straighter up. My plan was to prune it to provide more light for Black Magic, Morden Blush and Julia Child planted around it's canopy. That was going to happen in the spring, but mother nature beat me to it.

Memorial Day was in there, too, but it was the most shaded and even though it came back this season it never really took off. It bloomed twice, but seemed to die back after that. I didn't have the opportunity to move it. It was on the list of things to do. I did like that rose and may get another. I guess now I can.

Well, I guess I can look at the whole space differently now. Space to plant more roses!

I was doing searches for "shade tolerant" roses again yesterday, knowing that even they would not be too hapy in my last couple spots. Maybe they will be now.

Now, off to take pictures of the car and read that thread on the Antique side "Proper spacing aka 'How many more can I fit in?"

It is a good one. I think I can apply more of that info now that I potentially have more sun! And, all winter to make choices. What fun!

(I'm trying to see the positives in this situation, can you tell? The potential to plant more roses is always a positive.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Proper spacing aka 'How many more can I fit in?'

Comments (6)