SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marlorena

My new roses just arrived !

Marlorena
9 years ago

I'm so excited...I ordered these from France 6 days ago and they've arrived today. I knew nothing about most of them apart from one, and what I've read on here since... so I'm taking a chance but wanted something different. Only one of these is available here as far as I know.... these are also own root...I think you call them 'bands'? here we are more used to grafted.

One thing about being in the E.U. is that we don't have to worry about Customs.

The only one I've grown before here is Marie Nabonnand which I knew previously as Mons. Tillier (Beales version) which grew well for me some years ago.... I don't think we can get this one here either right now...

I've put them in the greenhouse with some water as it's forecast frost tonight, but I shall plant them tomorrow... I'm so looking forward to growing these....whatever the results..

Comments (25)

• Marlorena
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

..here they are again... I hope they are what you would expect of own root roses...

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

If you have a greenhouse, consider keeping them potted in there over Winter and plant out in the ground in Spring. I'm not sure if that's what you were already intending, though.

In any case, you have some nice own-root roses in what we in the US would consider "band-size." That's how most of my roses looked when they arrived Spring 2013. They look really wimpy if you're used to buying grafted roses, but given a little bit of pampering their first year, they will quickly catch up. The benefit to getting them so small is that the shipping is cheaper than for a more mature 1-gal size rose.

Good luck! And keep updating this thread as they grow.

:-)

~Christopher

This post was edited by AquaEyes on Wed, Nov 5, 14 at 9:34

• Related Discussions

bare root roses just arrived - breaking dormancy already?

Q

Comments (4)
    I can't say as to whether or not this is "Ok". I can say that I received a "Joseph's Coat" bare-root climber from Jackson Perkins that was already putting off a whole new cane. I worried about this, as I thought I heard that this is considered to be "bad". I put the rose in the ground anyway and, as fate would have it, the temps immediately plummeted to 28 degrees for a few days. However, the cane still developed. A few days ago, the temps plummeted again and the rose got snowed on and frozen for a little bit. But, this growth has stayed strong and is still going. So I honestly don't know the real answer to your question. I can just say that I have received bare-root roses in the past, not just this year, that were breaking dormancy and have never experienced an issue with this.
    ...See More

My labels just arrived

Q

Comments (5)
    I have so many that it is very difficult in Oklahoma conditions. Our weather is not nice, and sometimes the winter clean up, spring preparation and planting, and summer growth and heat are all overwhelming. I am still cleaning up after an ice storm last winter, still using Round Up to get the brush that appeared when I was cleaning up, and need to use more Round Up to help control the bermuda. So, now I am thinking about what I will order for next year. It is a true addiction. ha ha Sammy
    ...See More

New sectional just arrived, moving back into new FR

Q

Comments (24)
    I remembered a bit of info about the sofa. The original design has a love seat extension on the right angle end, like most sectionals have. But I didn't want that much sofa and ordered just a single seat to add on to the curved section. That made it a custom order and bumped up the already formidable price (gulp). But I was afraid that a love seat extension would cut off access to the room's corner and make it dead space. And I didn't really want leather, but couldn't see paying for a nice piece of cloth upholstery that kitty would turn into a scratching post. She didn't scratch an old leather sofa we used to have, so I shut my eyes & wrote a check for the kitty-resistant leather sectional. It's probably the last sofa I'll ever buy. My DIL was with me when I picked it out. I told her that I hope she likes it, because she's inheriting it when I kick the bucket!
    ...See More

My Palatine Order Has Just Arrived

Q

Comments (10)
    htracyn, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed! They look so healthy, and Palatine Roses are superior quality! I waited too long, and by the time I decided to order for 2021, they were sold out of everything I wanted. Hopefully I won’t let that happen again. First year I’ve missed since 2014. What are some of the varieties?
    ...See More
  • Marlorena
    Original Author
    9 years ago

..thank you Christopher..yes I will... I had thought of keeping them in the greenhouse until Spring, but I've prepared the beds for them now, so I might just plant them out. I can protect them easily during the worst of the weather if necessary, so I might chance it... we have some mild weather coming up...

I'm delighted that they look alright to you.. grafted roses do look more sturdy and that's what we are used to...

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

Grafted roses offered for sale will be a year or two older than the roses you received. Looking at the names on the tags, I think what you have will be vigorous enough on their own roots. Just give them some time to catch up. And you can get them going a little faster if you keep them potted for a bit while they build more roots before unleashing them in the ground. When I got my bands a year and a half ago, I made a nutrient-rich potting mix and kept them in pots for a few months before planting them out. The growth was remarkable. See the link below.

~Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: Some before and after showing growth so far

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

The only benefit to that would be if the rich potting soil is more fertile than the soil of the final planting site. Otherwise the main feature of growing in pots would be that the plants could be moved around, to get them away from adverse weather conditions. There should be nothing inherently superior for the roots about being in pots - in fact, roots in pots have a vulnerability to high and low temperatures and deformities caused by encountering of pot walls that they do not experience growing in the ground.

Comparative infertility of final planting site could be corrected by fertilizing it. Lower humus levels could be addressed by mulching (do not amend planting hole back-fill for anything bigger-growing and longer-lived than a flowering annual or vegetable).

• mariannese
    9 years ago

Own-root roses are becoming more common in Sweden but they are still a very small part of the rose business so I have little experience of commercial own-root roses.

I think Marlorenas plants look much bigger than those I had from Rogue Valley Roses a couple of years ago, one of my first experiences with own-roots from a rose nursery. They were really small, more like pass-along rooted cuttings or suckers from friends. If I were Marlorena I would plant the new roses now, given her mild climate. I believe I would do so even in Sweden.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Those look fabulous.

I am looking forward to photos as they grow

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

How exciting for you! They look just fine for bands and should do well for you.

I should mention that I'm one of the very few people here who plant bands straight into the ground, although even I give them an acclimation period of 7-10 days after receiving them, first putting them in a shady area and then very gradually moving them toward a spot that has morning sun only.

The reason I plant them in the ground without potting them up into 1 and 2 and then larger pots is my inherent laziness and impatience, and the predictability of the weather. I receive mine in the fall through very early spring and know that the weather will be mild and moist, since that's our rainy season, and the bands will be fine in the ground. I still mulch them heavily and keep an eagle eye on them. Given the strange weather lately I don't know whether there is a danger of frost in your area or sudden temperature swings.

It's your choice of course but I just wanted to point out that experienced rose people like Jeri and others always pot up their bands, usually several times into larger containers as the plant grows, and swear by this method. I plant in the ground and have never had one die, but it's quite possible that their roses are bigger and better because of the potting up process and the richness of the potting soil.

Either way, I hope you'll keep us posted and will look forward to progress reports.

Ingrid

• bellarosa
    9 years ago

I would just plant them out now and mulch them really well. I've planted roses in the Fall and as long as mulch them well, they make it through the Winter with no problem. I've planted as late as Nov here in Zone 5. Good luck and post pics next year when they bloom!

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Only benefit to the potting on will be enhanced ability to manage the plants. Where they can get enough attention in the ground they will be much better off going straight into that. Bands and other small sizes are only more vulnerable than big field grown stock because they are smaller. If the production facility was a greenhouse or other sheltered environment - as is often the case - there can also be problems with sun burning of foliage or quick drying out of root masses when planting directly in the open ground. However, the first problem can be dealt with by installing temporary shading and the second by mulching and keeping an eye on the watering situation, until rooting out has been adequate.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Is the one L19 Laos? I see it was found in Yunnan Province?

If so, I'd love to know more about it.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

My soil here is crappy -- really more of a rocky red clay subsoil coming right to the surface than actual topsoil -- so potting them up in nutrient-rich potting mix allowed for faster growth. I also was still preparing the beds after the roses arrived, and having them in pots allowed them to grow "in the meantime", as well as allow me to move them around until I decided on placement. Additionally, there's no root competition in pots. And when I planted the roses in the ground, I was able to inject some much-needed organic material into the soil with every hole I dug. After that, a good 6-8" layer of composted mulch and manure was added on top.

This year, I did plant a handful of bands directly into the ground, being as their "spots" were already known, and the beds were already planted. I tried digging a hole as large as a 2-gal container, and filling the hole with my planting mix. While they did grow, the growth wasn't nearly as dramatic as with the pots I nursed along the previous year.

I know lots of people plant bands directly into the ground and they do well. For me, I simply prefer pushing as much growth as possible before putting tiny roses in the ground -- especially considering my conditions. It may not be necessary, but when starting a new garden from scratch, it's more satisfying for me to see big plants in the ground than a sea of bands. By planting time, most were larger than the 1-gal own-roots I ordered the following year.

As is often said, "your mileage may vary." This worked well for me, so I pass it on. The link below shows how the garden started coming together the year the roses came as bands.

~Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: It's been a busy Summer in my yard...

• cath41
    9 years ago

I have planted (always in Spring) both ways, into pots for a month or two and, alternatively, directly into the ground. I have noticed, like AquaEyes, that those planted in pots first grew faster. I think it may be that we northern growers can provide more warmth to the roots in the early Spring when we plant first in pots. It takes a long time for my heavy clay soil to warm up in Spring. However both ways work. If the plant were exceptionally small and weak I would pot it first but then I have had a few fail in pots due to inattention or who knows what.

Cath

• Marlorena
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all so much for your generous replies...

Christopher..
    I am impressed with the growth of your bands that you grew in pots before planting. It's something I'm still considering...I shall decide tomorrow which way I shall go with this...

From one of the photos...I like the curvature in your rose bed very much as well, and the covering of leaf litter...
    ...in my last garden I had very shallow heavy clay soil over a granite bedrock. The soil was acidic enough for Rhododendrons...quite different to what I have now though, which is neutral and very deep fertile loam.... the rose 'Marie Nabonnand' grew beautifully on that shallow soil which was barely 6 inches in depth (it was difficult to plant it)...before hitting the granite which was decomposing into a kind of white clay...horrendous stuff to manage... but I had a fabulous rose garden from it...surprisingly...
    ...I understand your preference for planting out larger plants rather than small bands... I notice you have Baltimore Belle...I've often thought about that one..it grows well in England...I've seen it, it's fabulous...

bboy...
    I had been thinking along those lines too...as my soil is extremely fertile...a rich deep loam...In my area near me there are many rose fields and apple orchards...trees grow enormous...my plot is also quite sheltered, so I shall decide on which way forward on this very soon...

mariannese..
    thank you...I was surprised to read that you would plant them right now, in Sweden, so that gives me confidence...

Kippy..
    Thanks so much..I'm pleased you like them..

Ingrid,
    Thanks again...I thought you would most likely plant yours direct considering your climate...like you I'm rather impatient but I shall have to give these time I know... I've never lost a rose yet to the weather...only to my own whims... I shall take a look at the roots on these first before I decide, I think that might tell me what to do for the best...
    ... I look forward to showing you some of my own 'Le Vesuve' next summer...

bellarose,
    Zone 5.. my goodness that must get cold in the winter and you still plant in the fall? that makes me think I might get away with this here... a severe winter to us is probably not much to speak of in your part of the world...

jerijen,
    Yes I believe it does come from Yunnan province or believed to be so, although it was 'found' in northern Laos, hence the name I suppose and has been growing in the Beijing Botanic Gardens... and has recently come to Europe. In for a penny, in for a pound, as we say here...
    I shall of course let you know how it goes...it will be getting one of the most sheltered but sunny south facing aspects of my garden...

Cath,
    Yes I think you have a good point there... if I put these in pots first I know I could get quicker growth next Spring as they would be in my greenhouse which soon heats up to over 20 celsius when it's only 10 outside... one or two of these would probably enjoy the type of heat that my greenhouse would provide - all summer!... as I said earlier, I shall look at the roots first and then make up my mind I think... I've given them some water but they're still in their packaging...

..nice to talk with you all...

• jerijen
    9 years ago

I hope you will post photos, later, of the Yunnan rose. Imports like this really intrigue me. :-)

Here is N-92 Nanjing . . .

Jeri

• User
    9 years ago

Yep, I would be planting them outside too. We can expect the soil to remain warm below the surface until December in the UK and there is plenty of residual heat still left this autumn....I will be planting the last of my seedlings out until almost Xmas.....and often the smaller, the better so I would be thinking of cutting your roses back a few inches too: - they look easily able to cope.

• Marlorena
    Original Author
    9 years ago

jerijen,

..isn't that lovely? it was one I could have chosen along with several others from that region, but I just settled on the one for now... thanks for showing these to me...

hi Campanula,
    I'm delighted to get your advice too, especially as it seems you are not too far from me... we had some frost last night - not a pleasant introduction for my roses...although they are well wrapped up... but I am swaying towards planting them straight out...
    ...I'm due to receive yet another, a climbing Tea called Souvenir de Mme. Leonie Viennot, but this should be grafted as it's coming from Trevor White Roses.. I'm really looking forward to growing this too...

• bart_2010
    9 years ago

I've ordered twice from John and Becky Hook in France;I don't know if these roses are from them,but they sure look good,as were the plants I recieved from the Hooks. The first time I potted up the plants ,the second time I planted them out directly. Now, many other factors doubtless came into play, but I had better results planting out directly. Just my 2 cents...bart

• Marlorena
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bart...

..many thanks for your input here... yes I got these from Mr and Mrs Hook in France too...and I was delighted with the service I received and the prices I paid...and the plants I have received... I would love to order from them again... I note Becky puts some of her rose information on the HelpMeFind site... photos etc...

I have decided to plant mine out directly and this I'm doing today as it's so bright and sunny and just right for gardening...

..thank you again...

• buford
    9 years ago

If you do plant them in the ground, make sure to put some kind of marker or protection around them. Small bands can be hard to spot, especially in winter when they have no leaves, and can be stepped on or have a hose dragged across them.

Those do look very good for own root bands. They will probably take off next spring.

• sunnysideuphill
    9 years ago

When I have planted small roses, either bands or bands plus a year, I too have worried about things falling/stepping on them once foliage is gone. I have enough leaves etc since the property is surrounded by oaks and birches that even most plant markers aren't visible. And of course once there is any snow cover at all you can't see them. So I cut "fans" of hemlock and make little teepees over them. It not only marks where they are, it offers a little winter protection from wind, and snow weight.

• mariannese
    9 years ago

Just to show you what some brave rosarians in Sweden do. This is Eloise planting new roses from France on Dec 5. Probably not own-root plants, though. Taken from a Swedish rose forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Winter Digging Club

• Marlorena
    Original Author
    9 years ago

..obviously very hardy folk over there in Sweden...thanks for that link mariannese... they look good size roses too..despite the snow..

..thanks for comments regarding protection and marking where they are...the nursery included some nice labels which I've attached but I know where they all are so I'm hoping that won't be a problem but I know what you mean...

...they're all planted now and a very easy job it was...lovely well rooted plants all of them... I really would like to get some more like these..but I'm more or less full up for now...

...of those 5 the two with the best roots, although all were good and these might have been growing for longer, were Le Vesuve and L19 Laos...and jerijen might be interested in this but L19 Laos I found to be the most attractive little shrub, well foliaged, sparse thorns.. and 3 good stems with an apparent open habit...very graceful looking..easily the most attractive of these at this young stage....I was loathe to shorten the stems but felt I ought to do that..

• bart_2010
    9 years ago

Once winter starts, I mound all my new baby roses-even own-roots-for protection of all kinds: against drying winds, against getting stepped on, etc, accidentally,against temperature swings; in other words, IMO, mounding is not just for protection against "cold"! I use a combination of sand and wine corks and styrofoam,because in the past I've had problems with organic material causing fungus and rotting problems, but most people don't seem to have this type of problem, and use soil for mounding.
    I, too, was delighted with the Hook's nursery, customer service, plants, everything, and hope to order from them again in future. The extremely rough conditions of my garden (far from my home, no water terrible soil, frequent extreme summer heat/drought ) combine to make a situation in which grafted roses sometimes seem to be a better choice than own-root, but their roses are so good that I'll definitely be back for more, once I've got the right conditions .bart

• Marlorena
    Original Author
    9 years ago

..good ideas Bart...I have a few options on protecting my roses over the next few months, I have lots of fleece coverings which allow plants to breathe.. but keeping my curious dog from digging them up might be my greatest challenge...

...you have a difficult site by the sounds of things...if only life was easy.... I sometimes think we should choose our gardens before we choose our homes...

..I do hope you get some more roses at some point...it's so exciting isn't it..especially the more rare and unusual...

This post was edited by Marlorena on Fri, Nov 7, 14 at 7:03