SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenerzone4

Virus free v. Virus indexed

gardenerzone4
13 years ago

I'm assembling a list of ~60 own-root roses to order for 2011 and wanted to stay clear of potentially virused roses.

Contacted Roses Unlimited and they were able to tell me that ~40 of the roses I want are for sure indexed to be virus free. The rest are not indexed but not necessarily diseased either.

Contacted Heirloom and they said that everything on their website is guaranteed to be virus free, but not necessarily indexed--they can't give me a list of what is/is not indexed.

I'm trying to figure out what to make of this. Is Heirloom's "virus free but not necessarily indexed" the same as RU's "not indexed but not necessarily diseased"?

Bottom line, should one company's assurance make me feel more comfortable ordering from them than from the other? Those of you who have experience ordering from one or both companies in recent years, have you received plants later determined to be virused? (FYI--I did check with Rogue Valley, Chamblee's, and others and they didn't carry the varieties on my list.)

There are a few varieties that I really want, but they are not indexed to be virus free by either company--should I take a chance on ordering them anyway or is that a gamble I should not be willing to make?

Thanks for helping me make sense of all this,

gardenerzone4

Comments (17)