SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

'Catherine Mermet', 'L'Ouche', and a bad summer

melissa_thefarm
14 years ago

Well, after two years in the garden my cutting-grown 'Catherine Mermet' is a less than impressive sight. She's a gawky upright thing, sparsely foliaged, and though I'll accept that many good roses get some blackspot in November, I think she gets a little too much disease. I was wondering whether she's likely to improve with age, or whether the lady is for cutting flowers only, and unlikely to make a good show in the garden. What's your experience?

'L'Ouche'. This is classified as a China rose, but the grafted rose that arrived doesn't look anything like a China. It is an upright plant with sturdy canes, green when young, relatively large leaves, and large orange-red hips with persistent black sepals. I honestly don't remember the flowers, as it hasn't bloomed recently. It looks more like a Bourbon to me, judging by the Bourbons I have in the garden. The pictures on HelpMeFind look like my rose. Comments?

We had a puzzling bad summer. Judging by my usual criteria it shouldn't have been bad. Compared with 2008 the drought period was much shorter, it wasn't blazing hot, and the wind didn't blow constantly. Yet the roses suffered as they didn't suffer in 2008. I think there was more damage from a beetle that girdles rose canes than the year before, but I believe it went beyond that: I saw a lot of roses with sickly yellowish or reddish canes that looked almost sunburned, and by the end of summer the roses looked miserable in a fashion that I'm simply not used to seeing, no matter how hot and dry it's been. Two other rose gardeners I know also thought it was a puzzlingly bad summer; one living in my own province of Piacenza, and who lost many roses this year, another in the region of Umbria in central Italy. This friend suggested as a possible culprit a period of unusually intense ultraviolet radiation that happened in early summer. I'm continuing to plant trees for shade and wind protection (which will probably become truly effective around the time I die at an advanced age), and we've been filling the beds with herbaceous plants and subshrubs, partly because I find that roses surrounded by other plants seemed to do better than those in isolation.

I'd like to hear your comments.

Melissa

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County