SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fogrose

I love a Mystery (Rose), Don't You?

fogrose
11 years ago

I love mystery stories, especially English authors like Dorothy Sayers. Maybe that's why I love mystery roses, the survivors who've lost their names over time. Maybe they never even had a name, but were a seedling in some's garden that was too good the throw away and eventually got passed along.

I purchased this rose "Unknown HP" from one of the Sacramento Cemetery sales. It's been blooming in flushes since April and is especially beautiful now as the leaves are nice and clean. I'm really in love with the veining on the petals and the fragrance is to die for.

I asked Anita (cemeteryrose) if she had any information and here's what she wrote..."We collected some identical HPs in a trip to the Nevada City area, from Pine Grove cemetery and a couple of others in the vicinity. We've been talking about this rose recently, because it seems to be found all over Northern CA and we probably grow it under several names, including Cerise Cup, Elizabeth Cannon, McCarty Plot, McBride Plot and Bud Jones. Jill Perry has been studying them and we need to evaluate the ones in the cemetery and add that to the study set, and will then update HMF with all of the roses that we think are the same. I'm almost positive that the one that you have is in this group. Phillip and Gregg from Vintage think that this rose is Geant des Battailes, but Fred Boutin thinks that the real GdB should have darker red or purple tones and the leaves should look more like Gloire des Rosomanes, which is in its parentage. So - we don't have a name, but it is a nice HP, fairly tall. It does have a tendency to blackspot."

{{gwi:319556}}

{{gwi:319557}}

{{gwi:319558}}

What's your favorite mystery rose?

Enjoy the photos. Wish they had scent for you.

Diane

Comments (13)