SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

I don't get it...colors I don't like

Annie Deighnaugh
5 years ago

As some of you who may remember me, I love color and am very picky and sensitive to color schemes. If someone asks me if I like brown and gray. Nope. No way. Yuck.

And yet I love this!

Source: Trad'l Home

Why? Is it the mix of textures? The light? The architecture? The juxtaposition of the gray and brown? The natural woods? The range of shades from stark white to black?

I really like it, but it's truly something I could never do for myself.

Comments (6)

• leela4
    5 years ago

To me (on my monitor) the floor is what provides interest. Then the boots and the bag, (especially) and the ladder, (somewhat), help.

I just noticed the lockers, though, and they throw me.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked leela4
  • aprilneverends
    5 years ago

It reminded me of Jonathan Adler..a very colorful guy in all senses..rather, him saying in one of his books he doesn't like neutrals-unless they're from nature, like clay, or yarn, or stone, or wood, or..

When in nature-whatever it might be-we're deeply touched by very different settings ..I don't know why but let's pretend that's because there's invisible hand of the Master that put it all together, and we don't know another worlds, not yet, so we are touched by ours.

When in home-if one can get one seventieth of that Master's touch..it changes our general connotations.

Because there's texture, variation, light, all this, yes-plus something made by hand, taking this natural things, clay and wood, etc, and working on them, and loving them while working. Simple things-yet they all get to sing.

I know this because for example I also have variated terracotta tile in the bath-and it's less variated, just three colors..and it's textured custom too..and we were there when the guys from the shop were working on color and texture , working on samples, showing them to us..we waited with them, we were witnesses to that process, and you see the real excitement and passion that goes into creating and playing with things like that.

(they liked the pallette themselves and made a sample of it for the store, and called it "April's". lol)

And this excitement, passion and patience is what probably makes what was clay and wood shine under that light.

It brings together what they are-natural materials-and what people with passion and patience wished them to be, and got them to be.

So. That's why I love my grays and my browns..

Even though my house is pretty colorful-no one will call it neutral

It's true, they remind me some scenes from my childhood which I percieve as happy. And all sorts of things. The juxtaposition. Of course I prefer certain grays and certain browns, that's normal. For example I love mostly very warm grays. And (surprize) mostly warm browns))

But also because some of them, I witnessed to be made, I knew them to be painstaikingly made, or I knew nobody made it, it was created like that- and I was just lucky to spot it, like a piece of gray marble with golden rusty streaks..and it makes it a bit more magical.

Sense of discovery can come in many shapes. It can be quiet and subdued. And nothing we generaly like even maybe. Yet it still will be a sense of discovery.

I would love to do truly neutral room one day, just like a challenge even. yet I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to pull it off..

Annie Deighnaugh thanked aprilneverends
  • dragonflywings42
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I like this room, as well, although if I was my home I probably would have chosen a solid terra cotta floor or at least have fewer colors. I would also like to see the lockers in another color as I don't think the grey works here. I love the lamp bases and those chunky tables, the mirror and accessories, and the wooden beams. I think I'd like to see some woodland green in there. I would love to see the rest of this house to find out how they carried this theme throughout (if they did).

ETA: April & I posted at the same time so I am returning just to say how much I enjoy reading her posts. She always weaves an wonderful word path that often leaves me humble and breathless.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked dragonflywings42
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    5 years ago

dragonflywings, if you click the link under the picture it will take you to the article where they have posted 25 pics..

• aprilneverends
    5 years ago

thank you dragonflywings..that's a question who's humbled here..

Goiing to check out the link to the article