SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meslgh

Care to comment on my evolving plan?

meslgh
10 years ago

The southwest corner of my front yard (which is also the corner of the block) is the only place that I have that gets full sun. I figure that I can put in an oval-ish (or maybe it would be more accurate to describe it as football-ish shaped) bed, about 38" x 17" at its longest and widest dimensions. This bed will be sort of like an island, in that it can be viewed from all sides.

Keep in mind that I'm a beginner gardener (much more book-learnin' than experience), I don't want to spray, and too busy to spend a lot of time coddling finicky plants.

So, I'm thinking that what I'd like to put in is Belinda's Dream in the center on the "house" side. On the "street" side, in the center, I've got a bee in my bonnet about having a Whale's Tongue agave (inspired by Pam Pennick's blog Digging). On one side of Belinda's Dream I thought I'd put in Kronprinzessin Viktoria on the house side and Souvenir de la Malmaison on the street side. Beside SDLM, close to the street I would like to put in The Dark Lady. On the other side of Belinda's Dream I thought I'd put in Francis Dubreuil/Barcelona on the house side and Capitaine Dyel de Graville on the street side, and SDLM next to FD/B. (I wish I could figure out how my husband re-arranged our scanner, so that I could scan in my graph paper "sketch," which I'm sure would be a lot clearer.)

I figure that I need to allow a 7' diameter for mature Belinda's Dream, 6' diameter for mature Whale's Tongue agave, and 5' diameter for all the other roses at maturity.

I have much vaguer thoughts about companion plants, but figure that I would like some Artemesia Powis Castle, sweet allysum (sp?), and something purple, probably salvia of some sort. Larkspur and phlox would be nice. There are some other larger plants that I would enjoy having as companions, but I don't think that I have room for even a dwarf buddleia, Texas sage, or Russian sage. (Should I make room be not including all the roses? Do I really need two SDLM? Do I really need both The Dark Lady and Francis Dubreuil/Barcelona?)

I would love lots of feedback. What haven't I taken into account that I should have? All comments, thoughts, suggestions, advice, and critiques welcome!

Comments (16)