SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
owl_at_home

My house plan ... Comments?

owl_at_home
16 years ago

I just wanted to share my house plan and see if anyone has comments or suggestions. Please don't laugh. I drew it myself and wrote in the room names and dimensions. They are supposed to start the foundation next week, but I can change things around up to the last minute.

Anyway, the house is about 2,000 square feet. The footprint is 38x38. It is a central hall plan and is based on an old house style called an I-house - a two story rectangle with a one-story addition off the back. This is common in the south and midwest. I based it on old houses I have seen around here, and I got to go in one and take some measurements, etc. It has a two-story part in front and a one story part in the back. In our case the one-story part goes all the way across the back.

The larger square drawing is the first floor, and the smaller part sits on top of the front of it over the living rooms - if that makes sense. We will also have a 10-foot deep covered porch across the front and down the left side. Also, probably a small covered porch/balcony off the second floor.

The ceilings are 10-foot downstairs and 8-foot upstairs. Please ask any questions and make comments. We do not have a garage. The utility room on the back right corner will be a combo laundry, craft and dog room with pet flaps to the outside. If we add a garage or carport someday, I figured it could have access through that room.

Comments (24)