SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elizabeth_in_nc

Questions about grafted Gallicas

elizabeth_in_nc
14 years ago

I have used up just about all of my garden space which is suitable for own root Gallicas, i.e. where they can roam free and the suckers won't bother anyone or will get mowed. So now I need to consider grafted Gallicas, which is fine because Pickering has many that I want. (OK, I want all the ones that Pickering has, but I assume that I will whittle the list down somehow.)

But... I'm having trouble getting my mind around what a grafted Gallica looks like. I mean, this is a rose that when grown on its own roots forms a thicket - stems coming straight out of the ground, spreading into a clump. So how does a Gallica look growing from a single point? Can someone describe or post a picture?

In defense of my lack of imagination, let me mention that the only roses I have are own root; the grafted roses that I see are HTs and Floribundas. The bud union is always planted several inches out of the soil (that seems to be usual in the South), which leads to a "vase on a stick" look that I think looks odd. But I would want to plant the union above soil level, wouldn't I, to keep the rose from suckering?

Even though the Gallicas I put in this Spring haven't bloomed yet, I'm planning next Spring's Gallica order already. The bands I ordered this year turned into well foliated plants that gave me no trouble (except for a little PM which was easily cleared up) and had zero blackspot. If I get a few flowers from these I will be thrilled.

Elizabeth

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor