SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aimeekitty

Will these roses be ok in a shaded socal position?

aimeekitty
14 years ago

Thanks again for all the invaluable help so far! I'm learning a lot!

So,.. previously (before we moved in) I thought the front yard would be the sunniest part of our yard since it's western facing,,...

however, we moved in this weekend, and I watched the sun in the yards throughout the day...

The porch-area of the front yard (where I want to put a couple shrub roses and a climbing rose)..., while western facing, it probably only gets a couple hours of sun a day. Most of the day the house itself is shading it. Even at 3pm a good part of the area I want to stick roses (including a climber) is shaded by the house itself.

My choices for this area were "Reine des Violettes", "Compte de Chambord" and "Duchesse de Brabant" for the shrubs and then "cl. Eden" for climbing the porch arches.

Should I reconsider these due to it being shadier than I thought? (if so, does anyone have suggestions to what I should use instead that has a similar look and will do well in my area?)

I live in zone 9-10 near the antelope valley (southern california). Zone 18 according to Sunset Western

Advice, please...? Much thanks, again!

Comments (25)