SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eepi_gw

Bella Roma over 6 ft tall

eepi
15 years ago

My Bella Roma was supposed to grow to a maximun of 5 feet tall. He is planted very near the foundation, in a bed of mint; the only amendments he has received - the occasional coffee grounds sprinkled thinly on top of the soil. He's just shot up thick canes within the past month, and put out a profusion of buds on them now - and this is his third year of growth.

Also he has been quite heavily munched on by crickets and some form of grasshopper, yet remains insanely vigorous this year. Yes, even taking my still-learning-how-to-prune mistakes into consideration.

In my zone, it is not recommended to prune this late in the season. The canes are strong and thick, yet I worry that the winter winds will damage him. He has a small stake at the base because strong winds rocked him from side to side early this spring, creating a horizontal trench (which I filled in with soil from an organic potting soil bag).

Why is he so tall, and what can I do for him to ensure that he is healthy next spring? And, is there a way to keep those voracious crickets and grasshoppers from chewing his leaves?

endnote: While I do try to use organic methods, this area was sprayed for termites so I am not quite so picky here. The termite treatment was touted as bee-safe, and they do love this patch - I will not do anything that jeopardizes the bees.

Comments (7)