SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilyfinch

some rose bed soil questions

Hi there! if any one has time or some insight here, id really appreciate it.Im posting this here bc most of the plants in my beds will be roses and not just a general perennial bed. I bet yall have some secrets to share about what makes your roses grow well!
I have been slowly working on my rose beds. by working I mean just digging holes and wondering if I am making the right choice! I do have a soil analysis done by the previous owners that I was just reading over.
My first plan was to have mushroom compost trucked in and mixing that with my native soil. I did this in Pa and I think the roses were pretty dang good looking and grew great. Now im reading mixed reviews about that online. and honestly its pricier here so I am kinda not wanting to spend 50 dollars a yard.
My native soil is pretty hard clay, with lots of little rocks .
the soil report says,
PH 6.10
3.75 percent organic matter
high in calcium
very low magnesium
low sulfur
high phosphate
very low potassium
low trasce elements

now, I don't really know what this all means. also I am assuming the sample was taken for the landscape around the house. my rose garden is a little ways away. So, I may have slightly different results there but id imagine its all pretty close. correct me if im wrong!

I guess this is a long question, and 2 parts. if you can help me interpret what I should do here, id greatly thank you! i may take this to the nursery today and see what they say but i feel like my roses need more than a general little of this and that! :) i think we can all agree they deserve some extra pampering.
Also , the fun part... what to you like to add to your soil to make it great? banana peels, coffee grounds? manure?
i appreciate the help so so much. i love to hear all the different responses from gardeners all over!

Comments (7)