SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristin_flower

Newbie rose garden bed vs. non-bed design question

kristin_flower
16 years ago

I have an open area about 30 feet long and 12 feet wide where I'd like to create a rose garden next spring (area receives all day sun). I was thinking I'd plant hardy shrub roses with the tallest in back and with perennials mixed in here and there. I'll probably include a row of John Davis near the back, Morden Blush near the front, maybe a couple of larger once blooming varieties like KVD, Lillian Gibson or Great Maiden's Blush to anchor the ends, some white or soft colored daylilies, iris, delphiniums. Possibly a few of the more cold hardy Austin roses like Mary Rose, The Mayflower, Redoute, Winchester Cathedral.

Here is my question - do I need to pull out all the grass in this area to create the bed, or can I just dig the individual holes for each plant leaving the surrounding lawn intact? If I pull out all the grass I imagine I'll be looking at a lot of mulch for at least a few years until the roses reach their full growth. Pulling up this much lawn would be a major chore as well, but I want to do this the right way (if there is a right way) and I want it to look good in the end.

Any comments, suggestions, design ideas, etc,etc, welcome.

Comments (13)