SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ispahan

How do you solve a problem like Jude?

In October 2011, I planted a one gallon, own root Jude the Obscure with best of intentions and highest of hopes. My neighbor has a GIANT grafted octopus version of this rose, but I naively thought that by choosing own root my own specimen would be more manageable. Silly me.

I am now looking at a rose throwing out 12 ft. canes and spreading ever wider with an attitude of flippant domination. I had to trim it back three times this summer, but it is still too large for the space. Sigh.

Good Points:
-Completely healthy without spraying
-Hardy to the tips so far
-Amazing fragrance
-Love the flower form
-Love the creamy apricot color
-Looks striking with Geranium 'Rozanne' weaving through it

Bad Points:
-World-dominating, octopus growth habit
-Three flushes of stingy blooms (i.e., far too much plant for relatively meager amount of blooms)
-Far too large for space
-Large thorns (planted near walkway)
-Color fades into background (poor garden presence)

What would you all do in this case? Ideally I would move it, but I don't really have a great place for it. Should I just get rid of it, or will I eventually regret it?

My other monster rose is Griffith Buck's Quietness, also own root, now easily 8 ft. x 6ft. and expanding. But it has such a balanced, graceful growth habit and is so floriferous with such tremendous garden presence that I can't help but love it. While it does have a nice, sweet scent, if only it had the fragrance of Jude...

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County