SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janice4511

Newbie w/Iceberg questions

janice4511
16 years ago

Love this forum, I've read many of the posts and hope you can help me.

I have a new garden in a spot previously left alone. Before planting anything we ammended the clay soil with compost. Planted Iceberg roses, lavender, penstemon, echinacea, and rubibeckia. First month, everything took off and grew 4x bigger. I thought I was so good at this.

Then came the deer, who ate all the roses. Now we have a scarecrow sprinkler, and the blooms returned.

Now the lavendar had died a strange, branch by branch wilting death. The white roses have taken on a pink tinge, not quite the botrytis blister-look, but very pink. New blooms and old ones alike. I can post photos if that would help. The roses did have aphids and whiteflies, so we sprayed an Ortho product, whatever they sell now that diazonon is outlawed.

The soil is quite wet, as we are lower in elevation than our water-loving next door neighbor, so we've turned off our sprinkler system for most of the last month.

We're testing the soil this week, but any other ideas? Dead lavender plus pink Icebergs, after such a gang-buster start? Thanks in advance.

Comments (6)