SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ryan820

A newbie w/ questions

ryan820
15 years ago

Hi all--

I've been reading loads of posts and the FAQ on this forum and love how helpful you all are.

Anyway, I do not own any orchids yet, but one is on its way to me. I scored a Phal schilleriana species. I'm new to this stuff so forgive my ignorance- but it is a lavender/purple color that fades to white. It is a blooming size plant though it hasn't any blooms on it now and the leaves, which I think are pretty cool, are sort of marbled with a gray tinge with a purple underside.

Anyway, I live in Colorado, which I suppose is just fine for growing orchids as I found out last night that there was an orchid show at Tagawa gardens just up Parker Road from me!!!! I was so disappointed I didn't hear of it! Anyway, Colorado is very dry-- only 11% humidity today. I know orchids can adapt and what not but my concern is potting this plant when I get it. Chances are the seller has it in a pot that will do fine for now but I would like to move it to a medium of LECA or aliflora (not sure of the spelling). I grow bulbs and some other plants with pseudo bulbs/roots in this stuff and they seem to thrive in it. But I want to be able to give my orchid the best chances of survival.

So-- any one Colorado who can tell me what the best option is to keep my plant healthy and happy? I like the idea of hydro balls because they provide so much air to the roots and keep that air pretty moist. My amaryllis have really enjoyed it and though I have to water them more frequently, it really seems to be working.

So is it ok to plant phals in this stuff? I think I'd like to try the s/h method where the very bottom is able to hold some water but not touch the roots.

What about additives such as moss or bark? WOuld I even need to bother if I introduce a weak constant fert?

I'll likely have loads more questions but I figure giving this plant a good initial home is key. I'm currently waiting on my library to notify me of the stack of books I reserved on moth orchids. I can't wait!

Thanks all--

Ryan

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus