SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cajunbadger_gw

Newbie question on pumpkins and watermelons w/o expanding garden

cajunbadger
12 years ago

I have a 5'x20' garden with an 8' tall trellis running along the back. I've got my cucumbers starting to grow up the trellis and on a 5' fence that runs behind. Also have hot peppers and misc veggies using up part of the front area.

I'd like to grow a few watermelon (Sugar Baby) and pumpkins (Big Max but could change) but unsure if possible given their space requirements and not looking to expand my garden at the moment. Mostly hoping to get a few of each for my daughter to enjoy! For both, ideally I'd like to start them in the end section of the garden and let the vines grow into the grass (out of the way along the fence). I'd keep the grass trimmed very low. I'm not looking for a bumper crop, only a few to eat/carve with my daughter.

If not an option, other posts and ideas have me wondering about using 3' or 4' end section of my trellis for the Sugar Baby's. Possibly train 1-3 healthy ones up the trellis and support the watermelons as they get bigger?

Really hoping I can just let both wander into the yard off to the side, but please give me your thoughts on the best way to move forward! Oh and both were started a few weeks ago in starter pots and more than ready for planting (realize I likely started the pumpkins too early given their 100 day harvest!). Plus read the pumpkin leaves can shadow the watermelons but if spread out...

So very long story short: 1) Can I plant them in the end of my garden and let both grow into the grass, 2) If not any "simple ideas" given my garden setup, 3) Do I need to start new pumpkins more towards end of May, and 4) Did I miss something else above, lol?! Thanks so much!!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES