SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Midwesterners, how tall are Double Delight and other HTs?

dublinbay z6 (KS)
16 years ago

I'm feeling discouraged. Just looked up my handful of HTs at helpmefind, and there was diggerdave (beautiful pics, as usual)claiming his Double Delight was 5x5 with 40 blooms. Mine is 2.5 to 3 ft and has 6 blooms. Then I remembered someone posting once that their Gold Medal was 8 or 9 ft tall--mine is 3.5 ft. And others have posted pics of HTs so large that they had to stand on a ladder to get a good view.

Not that I want 8 ft. HTs, but why are mine such sedate little growers? The three mentioned above are three years in the ground (though DD was moved twice). Although they all suffered from the big Easter Freeze this year and had to be pruned downed to a few inches, they haven't rebounded size-wise like others claim. In other respects, they look perfectly healthy and are producing lovely blooms, but they are no larger than they were last year--roughly 3 ft. tall--and they certainly don't put out dozens of blooms per bush.

Do midwestern roses (Zone 6, in my case) not achieve the legendary heights and productivity some gardeners in other regions brag about? Or is there something more I should be doing for them?

Thanks,

Kate

Comments (19)